prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: MX5 Cup car in EP
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 am 

dakar318 wrote:
the only way one of these cars will win a race would be if everyone else broke.

So you are actually saying the only reason to class this car in EP is because someone wants a second place to run???

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 am 

That's what he's saying. And to potentially screw up your race, inadvertently. And imagine if 4 or 5 of them wanted some extra track time because they had a race coming up. You won't mind if they test and tune in the middle of your race will you. :roll: Its all about unintended consequences.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

I think what they are trying to say is that they may not be front runners in EP but at least here in the northeast they will also be on track with FP HP and GTL. They WILL be in the middle of someones race. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm 

Somebody should request EP cars also be classed in T2, FP in T3, and HP in SM. And on slicks in every case. Really no different than Spec MX5 in EP. No different at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm 

Curtis wrote:
Somebody should request EP cars also be classed in T2, FP in T3, and HP in SM. And on slicks in every case. Really no different than Spec MX5 in EP. No different at all.

Watch it Curtis- you’ll be on the board before you know it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm 

Tyler Kicera did a comparison between a SM and MX5 Cup car at Watkins Glen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrNK54C13UA
If you look at last years Watkins Glen Majors, https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1498402836, his time in the MX5 Cup car puts him right in the fight for the top. How would this screw up anybodies race? Are the EP guys in 7th-10th pissed off at the 4 FP guys in front of them for screwing up their race?
If people want to double or even triple dip on a weekend, I say go for it. Here in the Mid States Conference, our numbers are dwindling and we sure can use as many entries as possible. Our last Majors
at Topeka only had 64 entries. The next Majors in 2 weeks at Iowa Speedway currently only has 26 entries. Pueblo in 3 weeks has 19.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem this car should have been given some research and input from the other EP racers before it was just dumped into prod?

My primary objection is that the rules on this prod car and only this prod car be changed by another sanctioning body without anyone in SCCA having a say. And as I have already said, the complete specs on the car are not available. Anyone know the cam lift? How about head porting/prep? Anyone been in one of these motors? Someone said the car runs at 2400lbs. Is that with a 180 lb driver? What is the base weight of car?

Someone who thought the car was totally GCR compliant now realizes the front brakes are not. What else? And remember, tire compounds change just like the weather.

BTW, there's a company here in Atlanta called Dixie Stamp & Seal. They can make any seal you want in less than a week. Sealed engine?

I remember when the Spec Racers had hard tires and you could gain on even the fast guys in the turns in an IT car with Hoosiers. I don't know much about the tires the new MX5's run but the "Slick" Continentals I have run are HARD and slow as discussed here before. THey could be one tire change away from being 3 seconds slow to being competitive. Though I can easily pull them in my 185 RWHP 2500LB RX7 at VIR. But I agree with Jim its stupid to give another sanctioning body the power to change the competitiveness of a car in our club.

And also apart from the slicks they can run STL and STU. Brake Changes are allowed. And there is also provision in those rules to allow other pro spec cars to race as is even when some specific item is not allowed otherwise. Easy to do. And if they want a second class Classify them in GT3 if they want test time. Now they can use the cars. I have won a few races in my FP car in GT3 even in the majors.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm 

Late to the party here, but here's my take on the cup car:

1. The reasoning for letting these cars into EP is not sound. It should not be classed so that pros have a place to test. That's crap...especially since they have other places to test. It feels like a slap in the face to us lowlife amateurs because it is. It shouldn't hurt the fastest EP guys but it will mess up races for the slightly slower ones and the fastest FP guys. At some tracks, they could even interfere with fast HP cars in the twisty bits.

2. The MX5 is a good fit for EP and should be classed with prod specs like older MX5s. If someone wants to race their global MX5 there, go for it, as long as it fits the rules.