Couple of ancient paddock pics

Randy Canfield

The Glen and Marlboro, just atmosphere shots scanned from 35 mm slides. The color on most I have that are as old has really degraded, and can't be improved much by editing. The size of the crowd at the Glen was typical for Nationals when I started racing there in the early sixties.

Glen.jpg

Marlboro.jpg

Hi Randy -

Cool photos, thanks!

I'm guessing the non faded slides are Kodachrome and the faded ones not?

Hope to see you at Summit Point this year.

I'm guessing the non faded slides are Kodachrome and the faded ones not?

Yep. Of the samples that I checked out of several hundred the best were either Kodachrome or Agfachrome, the rest were Ektachrome. Some quite orange by now.

Those are some very strange looking electronic devices those two kids are playing with sitting on top of that car!

That reminds me of when I was in high school in the early 60s. SCCA would have a race around the lake in my home town in Kansas. Tens of thousands of people would show up for that race. I think most were college kids looking to party. It was called the Lake Garnett Grand Prix. After rioting at night in our small town of 3,000 and Carroll Shelby losing one of his precious Cobras in the lake along with a few other problems, they finally decided to stop SCCA races there. It was not a track, it was just a road around the lake. It would not come close to SCCA sanctioning today but it sure was fun to watch.

Gary ...

There's still a group of folks who organize a Lake Garnett Car Show and do laps around the old track about every other year or so. My father-in-law was at those races as a flagger. His brother also raced there in an MGA. Lots of good memories for some MiDiv folks.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

KelleyHux":aroezeca said:
Gary ...

There's still a group of folks who organize a Lake Garnett Car Show and do laps around the old track about every other year or so. My father-in-law was at those races as a flagger. His brother also raced there in an MGA. Lots of good memories for some MiDiv folks.

http://www.lggpr.org/ October 14&15 this year.

Riots didn't really stop Garnett, just put a postponement in schedule. It was the deaths of Ron Lapeer (HP national champ..hit stump in 69 when axle broke on his "new"/pre BRE Datsun Roadster), followed by Ralph MIller (CSR) a few years later. Both good drivers/guys, not to be forgotten...

I took Kenny's GP Spitfire to the 50th reunion, about 10 years ago?.....Garnett Cruisers car show downtown, nice event. We drove out and did some slow laps of course between races by the enduro carts, who still race there...... Was neat to see the kids and old folks along the drive out waving at the "racers"..... In recent years, the "more active" laps by current folks... as mentioned above.

Still a scary place to play...the WPA era "bridge" over lake end is daunting if you look at the stones used....lots of trees still close, too. Hope the current "racers" don't get too carried away...

Ah, the memories....

Okie

ps. Guess my computer system is too old to see Randy's pictures...All I get is icon that said image..
missed something good, once more, as technology progressed on me...

I don't know how I missed the posts about LGGPR. I participated in that event last year and it was a blast. It actually is not a race and most groups have speed limits and can only pass in specific passing zones. Passing must be a waive bye and drivers must let faster cars by. There a chicane before entering the dam "bridge" section for safety. There is also a speed limit across the dam.

Two groups don't have the restriction that the street car group have. These two groups are race/performance cars with drivers that have racing credentials. One is vintage and the other is modern race cars. I was in the modern race car group because my car is too modified for vintage. The only speed limit we had to adhere to was across the dam and we could pass any where it was safe. Even in the last session, the speed limit was acknowledged very little. I never felt it was a scary event but careless driving could make any event scary.

Back