Old Runoffs photos '79 HP start of race

Brian Linn

I think this was 1980 - I took the picture, my dad is in there somewhere. Obviously Mr. Canfield in the middle, with Jim Miller to driver's left and Cat Kizer to his right. Behind Kizer is Gene Clayton, behind Canfield is Ray Stone and behind Miller is Mike Lang. Anyone else you can ID?

EDIT- I guess you can't reply to photos....

Jay Lutz points out: "Larry Funk #22 (blue Mk2 with white stripe across bonnet right to left) on the inside of the corner". Also, it was Mike Lang (not Steve Lang) as I had initially posted. There was a Steve Lang that raced HP, but in the late 80's.

From Dick Barlow: Extreme left of photo in white Sprite #60 Fred Wentzel

From Bob Lembcke
On the 80 (or is it 79??? think my last was 80 or 81...and had the rainbow car then...this one was Tootsie Roll....with single hoop bar)H race, think the yellow square body to right center about 3 rows back is Ray Yergler. The bugeye #74 (the tootsie roll...still have it) back a bit further is me, Bob Lembcke. You're right on Freddy Wentzel, think he won in 80 .. Can't recall, but think Clayton's car was sold by 80, someone else was running it... See a red and yellow bugeye in the back...think it was sponsored by Winner's Circle...don't recall driver, but central guy...Martin D. perhaps? Frank Ince should be in there someplace, silver #90 bugeye... that car ran last weekend at Atlanta National as a LPHP..guy from Memphis... (Rob Horrell - BL)

Guess it would be easiest to just go get the program in the piles of memorbilia...but then again, how would I post, and just how much time would it take...
Good to see the old stuff....even though I can't remember it all...
Bob Lembcke

From Brian Linn
Gene Clayton won in '80 over Randy Canfield. Kizer had won the previous year. I was thinking that Charles Guest was in the yellow Mk.2 car in the middle behind Canfield, not Yergler.

Attachments

• start 1980 Runoffs HP.jpg
    start 1980 Runoffs HP.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 12,033
Back