I'aaaam back! (Actually not yet but trying to get there)

So anyway, just a follow up…the original HP car got crunched beyond my repair capabilities. On my way back from the track I had a message from Bill B. Offering the chassis below as a roller. Thanks to Craig and Bill we got it to Ohio.
If you know any history of this car please post. I have both logbooks (ancient texts they are) and it appears the car has undergone many transformations. Please help me fill in the blanks.
Thanks
EZ

Attachments

• 81165E04-F42F-4522-9704-BBA47DB2BB91.jpeg
    81165E04-F42F-4522-9704-BBA47DB2BB91.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7,643
021 is St Louis Region. Their web site doesn't have obvious scrutineering contacts, but I'd send them a note and ask for the contact info for Chief of Tech, who should have records for when that logbook was issued.

https://www.roadracing.stlscca.org/

Depending on how long he/she has been around, may even have immediate knowledge of the car.

Of course, you have the logbooks so you'll have a pretty good idea of its race history.

As an aside, what is/was the logbook of the Indy car? If it was an 022 car (New England Region) I'd like to jot its fate down in our tech records. Will it be crushed? Parted out?

Greg

region #21 is St. Louis don't know anyone there but someone here should be able to point you the right person

As I recall this car was seriously raced out of Texas. Previous to that there was a father and son who each raced a Bugeye this being the son's car. Can't remember their names. The Texas owner and previous owner the son posted now and then.

EDIT:
Thinking through the 80 year old rust, the father and son were Phil RIP and Tony Chiles. The car being Tony's.

Article on Tony:
https://www.kentuckynewera.com/living/a ... b7e2f.html

Wasn’t that one of the Phil & Tony Chiles’ cars? They were from Western Kentucky (Paducah?) and STL may have been their closest tech chief to do annuals.

Dayle

Mr Chiles name is in the logbook. It’s a sophisticated chassis (at least for me), Rick H mentioned it was his first front end designs. Anyone know Mr Chiles background? There is a bunch of 12 point aircraft spec fasteners throughout the car.

David - Thank you, what is was looking for. Will print this off and put with the car notes. Thank you
EZ

Tony Chiles ran it for several years at the Mid Ohio Runoffs. It was a dark blue color with yellow stripes back then. When the class went to limited prep, and with Tony's dad Phil passing away, Tony sold the car and it was campaigned in TX. I'm not sure if it's the same car that Karl Keiger had for a bit (his was a pale yellow - cage looks the same), but I believe Neil Verity may have owned/driven it too, and that would have been about when the flame paint job was added.

Nope, not my car. Although it did briefly visit my house on a detour on its way from Kentucky to Galveston. It was in the same trailer as a street Bugeye I bought from Phil at the same time Tony sold the HP car to Jeff.

My old yellow Bugeye is on the west coast in the hands of Ben Valentine.

Karl

Back