SCCA Endurance racing?

Looks like open tires.

Supps from the 4hr enduro here labor day weekend mention nothing of tires- only of a rough maximum prep effort and minimum lap time at this track (which equated to a good T3, EP, or STU time for the fastest enduro class).
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/la ... cca-813813

The supps reference the 2021 CRE Rules, which are here:
https://www.scca.com/pages/cre-rules

Nowhere in any of those is a mention of tires or an actual class or prep limit- only speaks in generalities.

That said, the cost is cheap and lots of track time- at least for the ones here. I did it on a whim with a friend who had a hot street car with a cage in it. we were on 2yr old cheap Federal (595 I think?) ****** ***** and had the 7th fastest lap times in the race. most of the SCCA cars in the class were SM or T4 cars, and there are a handful of local crapcans here as well.

So nobody says you must or must not run Rs or 200s. pick a tire, go race, have fun.

" The SCCA endurance National challenge " or whatever it is going to be called . Could be big with some logic behind the rules.
SCCA has a fresh start supposedly . 200TW tires would bring some peeps . Open tires will discourage the deal IMHO. They tried it before and nobody came .
The huge success of the rest of the endurance deals would benefit this deal also. Big time teams are running WRL with TCR cars on cheap tires. It seems to work . Why mess with a proven formula for success.
I offered my name to the CRB to help . BUt NA. I have only been Chumpcar - ing since their start in 2009 . I wrote most of the ITEZ rules . etc.
And .. I crewchiefed some of the SCCA 24 hr races at Moroso. 20 - 30 tires per car . Stupid .

I agree with your perspective, but nothing of the SCCA has ever been "let's make it cheap enough to lots of people want to come". Their mantra is "we are better than everyone else, so expect to pay more to play with us." When you get that to change, gimme a call. ;)

Called before I posted . No info . "The board is all set". "Should post more info after the runoffs."
I just hate to see the same mistake made again . Fresh series deserves a fresh , big picture look. IMHO.

Had this same conversation on FB yesterday. SCCA needs to make this affordable and be open to cars that are already built for other sanctioning bodies to draw in those drivers/cars. 200 TW tires would be a great addition to that ruleset.

"Hey, that car you built for AER/CHAMP, you can come and race it here with us!"

We've been considering building an enduro car for CHAMP for the seat time. At the end of the day, we're looking for the biggest bang for our buck, not "the privilege to drive in SCCA" - we already do that spending ~$750 for 90 mins of track time at the Majors.

If SCCA is hoping there's a large number of folks with huge pocket books willing to go all in on a super competitive enduro series, I don't think the market exists. Simplify the requirements and make a ruleset that forces affordability so even the small guys can come out and have a shot to do well if they can drive and build a half decent car.

From my reading of the rules and my experience with the local enduros run under these rules, it is exactly that.
No license required. if your car is safe enough and legal for AER, WRL, Champ, Lemons, etc, then you can race in the enduro.

The tire rules are currently "open". i.e. there is no tire rule, just a min lap time rule per bracketed class.

You are welcome to put whatever you want on there, providing you don't go under the min lap time for your class. if you go under the min lap time more than twice, then you'll be bumped to the next class up. Set your bracket time around your car and the tires you want to run, and go race. If the other guys want to run Hoosier As and blow $2500 in a weekend, then let 'em waste their money and you go run your race.

They have a 3 min pit stop (or 5 min min lap during a pit lap), so there's little incentive for uber-cheaty fuel rigs or anything like that.

The bracket times listed in the supps for the last MSRH race were reasonable for 200TW tires.
D. Three Brackets to run based on break out times:
Group One 1:43.99
Group Two 1:50.00
Group Three 2:00.00
E. Driver break out on two laps will automatically be moved up a class

Here's the results from WRL race beginning of 2020. note most of these guys are FAST in what would be T1 or GT cars with SCCA.. (EP track record is in the 1:41 range.)
https://racehero.io/events/wrl-msr-hous ... 1073741837

And some LeMons results:
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5958433
(fast laps for the top 20 range from 1:49 to 2:02)

So the bracket times for the last race here are commensurate with decently prepped and well driven cars on 200TW tires as used in other series. an SM on full-tilt with Hoosiers will be faster than the group 2 break out time. So you can bring your SM on Hoosiers and dial it back a few seconds and run the "group 2" class if you want, but you'll be driving to a time and gambling you don't go too fast and get moved to group 1

Got an answer back from the ERB.. 200 TW tires will be required... Cool. No other rules. at t his point .
I doubt that it will use the bracket thing due to the last reactions -mainly non participation of our bracket enduros.

I would hope for maybe 4 classes max and based on PTW and known past performance . We'll see. I'm excited as I get..

rekcik15":1zjotxu9 said:
If SCCA is hoping there's a large number of folks with huge pocket books willing to go all in on a super competitive enduro series, I don't think the market exists.

Isn't that exactly what AER has become? It started out as a simple grassroots enduro series and now it has the likes (read, "bankrolls") of Team Sahlen running in it...

Protech Racing":3rgqiicj said:
Got an answer back from the ERB.. 200 TW tires will be required... Cool. No other rules. at t his point .
I doubt that it will use the bracket thing due to the last reactions -mainly non participation of our bracket enduros.

I would hope for maybe 4 classes max and based on PTW and known past performance . We'll see. I'm excited as I get..
Interesting. I guess Houston just does it's own thing. (How Texan of us. ;) ). Then again, our RE is one of the guys working with nationals to make this stuff happen nationwide and refine the rulesets. Try some things locally and see what sticks.. our current events are likely "Let's get something started and build interest while we refine the rest of the rulebook"

Stiner0931":bz28qmdk said:
rekcik15":bz28qmdk said:
If SCCA is hoping there's a large number of folks with huge pocket books willing to go all in on a super competitive enduro series, I don't think the market exists.

Isn't that exactly what AER has become? It started out as a simple grassroots enduro series and now it has the likes (read, "bankrolls") of Team Sahlen running in it...

Same with WRL. It started out as an "anyone can play" endurance series to avoid the price caps, tar-and-feather penalties, and cheaty-car BS of the low buck endurance series, and it has morphed over several years into a nationwide top-flight endurance series mostly comprised of well prepped German cars up front. some of the rent-a-ride seats are in GT4 cars at $10k/weekend w/ pro coaches and full crew & amenities provided.

Matt93SE":1krculez said:
....some of the rent-a-ride seats are in GT4 cars at $10k/weekend w/ pro coaches and full crew & amenities provided.

It's inevitable with anything that becomes popular, whether it's a sanctioning body or even a class. How many $10,000 Spec Miatas do we have winning championships now?

The only way to keep something that's fun cheap is to keep it unpopular. But if something's fun and cheap, it becomes popular. And when something becomes popular, it attracts money. Which ain't cheap. Until it becomes so expensive that all the "were here for the fun" leave, which makes it unpopular, so the money decides to chase the next shiny new popular thing. At which point it becomes unpopular and thus cheap again...

It's a vicious circle in which we choose to spend our discretionary funds.

True Greg.
The last SCCA 24 hr at the Point .. Some big guy decided that fuel rigs were Ok. End of the races..
I dont think that rigs are allowed at any of the current top series. Champcar/WRL /AER ?
No rigs . 5 min plus transit ,fuel stops . = success.

Edit . Summit seems like it was 12 hr. Thats what the trophy say .
Moroso was 24 hrs.

Protech Racing":r1yewcks said:
True Greg.
The last SCCA 24 hr at the Point .. Some big guy decided that fuel rigs were Ok. End of the races..
I dont think that rigs are allowed at any of the current top series. Champcar/WRL /AER ?
No rigs . 5 min plus transit ,fuel stops . = success.

ya, that's one of the parts in the ruleset. no fuel rigs for anyone, and most of the other series have a cap on fuel can capacity (5 gal) and fill tube/ restrictor diameter.

Looking back over the regs. SCCA still will require a SCCA med form regardless of actual License . So that's a fail.
Copy known success. None of the popular endurance series requires any med forms.

Keep it walk up friendly. Bring a safe car, enter safe car, race .

SCCA is still going to have better insurance than all other endurance groups combined. A med form probably satisfies the insurance people. If the med form is what’s keeping people from SCCA I’d like to see that data.

Back