Weights for 1.6 twin carb cars

Protech Racing

The VW Rabbit is twin carb 1600 at 1845# ( set LR at Watkins glen at old weight )
BMW 1600. is @ 2000#
Toyota Corolla is 2050 with a live axle. The VW and BMW handle way better than the Toy. I asked for weight reduction..
100#s would be nice. Easy math . ?

Protech Racing":4oi40b0g said:
The VW Rabbit is twin carb 1600 at 1845# ( set LR at Watkins glen at old weight )
BMW 1600. is @ 2000#
Toyota Corolla is 2050 with a live axle. The VW and BMW handle way better than the Toy. I asked for weight reduction..
100#s would be nice. Easy math . ?

I'd think that the Toyota has considerably more power than the VW, no idea how much though, and of course that's the key factor here preventing easy math. So pretty much impossible to judge the correct weight without a lot more info.

I won't dispute your word on the handling as you have experience with both, but I'm curious as to why the nose-heavy VW outhandles the Toyota.

OMG Al, I've read lots of your post before and found them rational, but this one isn't. The VW 1600 belt driven OHC motor is a much more modern design than the 50's era pushrod 2TC toyota motor with the same displacement. The VW can make much more HP than the OE 73 HP rated toyota 2tc. As an experienced racer, did you really mean to
say a 60/40 nose heavy RWD Toyota should have superior handling to a 11% lighter FWD VW with a more powerful modern motor and more efficient drive train?

Have to agree with Ogren here,the Toyota needs to weigh less than the superiorly powered and more efficiently working drive train of the equally unaerodynamic VW. Just equalizing their weights would be a good start, but the Corolla should actually weigh less than the more efficient more powerful VW. Yes, I have spent decades developing Toyotas, the only time they were remotely competitive was when they were 1950# in GP at full prep.

The 1.6 VW on carbs(1850) makes about 4 more HP than the toy(2050) . The VW 1.8(2100) makes about 7 more.
On the same dyno.Mine .

The Toyota has too much valve angle and the incoming flow is hindered by the big valve directly in the path. The VW airflow goes past the side of the valve much cleaner . I have a lot of time and money in both cars , the VW is faster. The Toy needs about 150# under the 1.8 VW.
But it is Vintage legal and semi valuable . :)

Back