prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rain Lights for Everyone
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:53 am 

After getting a phone call on the subject, spending 2 hours on line trying to get through the convoluted mishmash of changes in 2019, one phone call to Rick out in Topeka, and finding the correct page in the 2020 January GCR we now know that all SCCA cars are required to have rain lights. My order for two went to Pegasus yesterday, but as I quit running an open car with 2" ground clearance in the rain years ago I still have to have them. Probably could have used one when they threw the black flag just after I crossed the start/finish line and spent the next 25 minutes floating around a 3.7 mile track on slicks in driving rain a couple years ago.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 am 

As I read the new rule Prod cars will run the non-flashing light. One thing I wanted to clarify was that we are required only a single rain light OR two in the oe taillight?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:12 am 

As I read it on page 82 of the 2020 GCR, it requires only 1 rain light. 2 are optional and may be in the same location as the brake lights at a different level of brightness. I'm still had the oem light harness in the rear so now I have it wired for all 4 tail lights and center mounted brake light tied together and brake lights working in the tail lights only. If it's raining I'll look like a Christmas tree!

Last edited by Don Walsh on Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 am 

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn’t have known. I would appreciate if they did a better job of communicating these safety/mandatory rule changes. (I still can’t tell from fast track what is suggested, up for review, or new requirement).

From the Jan 2020 rules for everyone:

Quote:
9.3.32. LIGHTS
B. RAIN LIGHTS
All cars shall be equipped with rain light(s) clearly visible from the rear.
1. Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize red tail lights, the rain light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.
2. All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15-watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain.
3. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.

So sounds like you need your taillights at least. I guess I’ll just wire them to always be on, or off, as I didn’t see anything here or in the “racing in the rain” section about when rain light must be on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:33 am 

Rick at SCCA confirmed only one light needed. We're going to put a bright red 2" diameter LED light on the headrests so they will show up above tire spray etc. Taillights are wired with both bulb filaments wired to the brake light switch so we'll add a toggle switch on the dash for the rain light.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:42 am 

2 LED rechargable rear bicycle lights

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-LED-USB-Rech ... 2749.l2649

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:19 am 

I installed the electrical for the Homestead race and it was checked at tech.
I feel so much safer now (not)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am 

Bob -

Thanks for posting this. I too thought I was keeping up, but was blissfully unaware of this. Should be easy to reinstall lights in the stock rear fixtures, we'll see. I stripped the (ex IT car) wires out a few years ago but that's no big deal.

I think that this is probably a good idea, btw.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

Voila, my Scirocco now has rain lights! Fortunately I had overlooked the tail light wire when I stripped out most of the harness years ago so it was mostly just adding a dash switch and some short connecting leads. The bulbs were already in the sockets. I'd been carrying half an ounce of dead weight all this time!

Again, thanks for posting, would have been an unpleasant surprise at annual tech.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 pm 

when I rewired my chassis, I am now very happy I ran some spare lines from front to rear...
Also +1 on thank you for posting about this, I would have also been rudely surprised at annual.
My class has so few rules I am guilty of not looking.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98