prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Brake Duct Clarification
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:46 pm 

As the new owner of an FP Miata, I have a question about front brake ducting. The car came with a large front air dam, with brake ducts incorporated into it. i think the air dam may overkill and that a chin spoiler on the OEM bumper cover would be better.

The brake duct rules say:
i. Brake Ducting
1. Brake air ducts can be fitted.
2. The front brake duct inlet(s) must not extend to the side beyond the centerlines of the front
wheels, or forward of the forward most part of the front of the body or front air dam.

Does this allow for a new opening to be cut in a bumper cover for a brake duct? The previous owner tells me no, new openings cannot be created (as per rule that no non-stock body openings can be created), but looking at pictures of FP Miata's online, it looks like holes were created thru the bumper cover. Reading the brake duct rule I think that an opening can be created.

I have searched thru the forums and can't find an answer. What do you say?

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:28 pm 

Joe, really simple. Look at Eric Prills and Charlie Campbells in the runoffs video. Those should be your blueprint. Maybe some other design would work. But I think those 2 designs are pretty darn proven.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am 

Thanks Chris. I was looking at pics of Eric’s online and it looked to me that brake ducts go thru the OEM bumper cover. Can’t always tell from some pics of some cars if something was added to the bumper cover as a partial air dam. I’ve been in impound with Charlie when I had my S2000 but since I did not have a Miata, I did not pay attention to his bumper cover. Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm 

Joe,
The brake ducks are in the air dam that is added to the stock bumper cover. We sell the air dam if you need one.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm 

Quote:
9.1.5.D.6
A rule that pertains to a specific component supersedes a general rule that might otherwise apply.

Would this rule mean the specific allowance of adding brake ducts supersedes the general rule no new new openings? Wouldn’t putting the ducts in the airdam still mean that you had to cut the stock bumper cover? (Unless they ducts and hosed were under the bumper?)

Last edited by Ian Green on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:00 am 

Doesn't this cover it? Under the front spoiler/air dam rule.

Quote:
E. Openings in the spoiler/air-dam are permitted for the purpose of ducting air to the brakes,
radiator and/or oil coolers. Openings can be cut in the front valance to allow the passage
of up to a three (3) inch diameter round duct hose leading to each front brake. These
openings can serve no other purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:51 am 

Quote:
9.1.5.D.6
A rule that pertains to a specific component supersedes a general rule that might otherwise apply.

This is a general rule.
Quote:
9.1.5.E.9.a.1
The body, unibody, frame and their components can be lightened, provided that structural rigidity is not compromised to the point of requiring additional support. No non-stock openings can be created in the bodywork.

This is a specific rule.
Quote:
9.1.5.E.7.i - Brake Ducting
1. Brake air ducts can be fitted.
2. The front brake duct inlet(s) must not extend to the side beyond the centerlines of the front wheels, or forward of the forward most part of the front of the body or front air dam.

This is also a specific rule.
Quote:
9.1.5.E.9.a.9.E
Openings in the spoiler/air-dam are permitted for the purpose of ducting air to the brakes, radiator and/or oil coolers. Openings can be cut in the front valance to allow the passage of up to a three (3) inch diameter round duct hose leading to each front brake. These openings can serve no other purpose.

The previous owner was incorrect.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm 

Thanks all for the clarifications. Seems that I was not the only one that needed it.