prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:03 pm 

Seems to be some disagreement with the .250 thick OEM bellhousing is legal.

http://www.asedan.net/forums/printthrea ... 2166&pp=10

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:05 pm 

Most of the import bells will measure less than .250. 200 maybe for my Toyota and the stock Miata .If you have one out, measure it a state it please.
Run a strip up the inner tunnel near the pedals ??.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 am 

I don't know what the chatter on that web site is about. If the clutch/flywheel can impact the driver when it fails, then you need a solid or flexible scatter shield unless you install a special explosion proof bell housing. The way I read it, the material specs are for the scatter shield, not for the stock bell housing. If you run a mid or rear engine or the flywheel doesn't line up with the driver's feet you don't need anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:24 am 

Ron, the chatter is because there are Production runoffs podium cars, passed through runoffs tech, many years, that did not have scattersheilds.

Ha, clutch chatter. Ha.

My point is the inconsistency of it all. The *appearance of* favoritism, whether it's intended or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 am 

Ron Bartell wrote:
...or the flywheel doesn't line up with the driver's feet...

The regs are mute regarding location of the flywheel rotating plane in relation to the driver.

Jim, to clarify myself, I have no grief with your posting these possible tech discrepancies here in the Prod forum as a heads-up. In fact, I actually appreciate it. What I have grief with is the implication that the Runoffs technical inspections are going to focus on relatively odd, non-performance-related technical items in an apparent "gotcha!" campaign ("bolts" - not Dzus, definitely not glue - and scattershields?) on cars that have been that way for, potentially, years.

The Runoffs is not the right place for that.

In my opinion, Runoffs technical inspection should focus on things that really matter to the Runoffs. I don't see obscure and inconsistently-applied (or -interpreted) GCR 9.3.x as that. While I certainly don't promote overlooking egregious safety concerns, my ask is that we focus inspection efforts on things that really matter (for example, those things in GCR 9.1.5) while making note of other discrepencies (and a "fix by next race weekend" logbook notation) and then publish all these discrepencies afterward for everyone to be aware of to either fix and/or request CRB regs clarifications/adjustment over the winter (for example, what I've already done for the glass bonding, and what I will be doing to clarify a terribly-nebulous scattershield requirement).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:47 pm 

Greg - I can't disagree with your sentiment. Certainly no one wants to come to a National Championship and be nickel and dimed about meaningless non-performance-related discrepencies with the GCR. I have been through a few of these witch hunts before so I know how you feel. But what happens if these deviations aren't pointed out, the entrant states that "this car has been through multiple Runoffs post-race scrutinies so why are you bothering me about this at this local regional race?" I know. I have tried this myself. The fact that no one caught the issue before does not mean that it doesn't exist. If you have never been written up for a scatter shield when one is needed consider yourself lucky.

Now, the right approach for non-performance issues is it gets written up in your logbook, and you need to fix it for the next race, which for many people is next year some time. For performance issues they need to be fixed at the Runoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:49 pm 

I’ll be honest, this is a shock for me. With the diff between me and the clutch, I never considered adding a shield.
Now I have 3 events between now and the Runoffs, and I need to design and fab a scatter shield for my car. These are not off the shelf items for transaxles.
Guess I’ll do this instead of the fenders this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:53 pm 

You could put a Honda drivetrain in there and move the flywheel over to take out the passenger. HAHA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:45 pm 

For FWD, Add a plate to the floor, under the pedals . FWIW I have never seen a VW clutch escape the bell house. Diff bits have made it out tho..
Theres lots of metal stuff between the clutch and driver on the VW. I dont think you need one . I dont have one and never have been asked for one.
I may run a plate up the floor/tunnel for the Toy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:32 am 

Yeah - between the subframe, steering rack, pedal box, double floor at the pedal box and the diff/driveshaft itself, I never felt it was needed.

However the way the rule is written, it doesn't say to only do it if you think the driver is at risk. It just says do it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next