prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 am 

Brett W wrote:
Do the stock windshields need the inner supports?

From the exact wording above, inner supports on an OEM front windshield are not required, but recommended..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
kruck wrote:
Another one I think some open top cars with chopped-top windshields need to pay attention to:
"If removed, a replacement windshield must be installed. The replacement windshield must be fitted within the vertical planes of the front most and rear most elements of the stock windshield and frame."

I don't feel like the bottom of many OEM windshields ran all the way underneath the vertical profile of the back edge of its hood. There's usually some gap of a cowl and covers between the two. Yet it seems like a lot of "replacement windshield's" run right up underneath the back of the hood, creating a nice and smooth aero transition.

Yeah show me a prod miata with this black plastic trim OR the same gap between the hood and windshield, and I'll eat my hat.

And yes Jim, there should be easier/better rules for all this. Trim "can" be removed, if removed, the resulting opening "must" be covered. Or something. It's all over the place between headlights, parking lights, cowling, bumpers, all of it.

Careful Bill, there is a Super Tour 1990 F Prod closed/hardtop which has the Miata Cowl Grille (Miata workshop manual name) and there are many Super Tour open E & F Prod Miatas without the Miata Cowl Grille. Not an excuse for the Miatas without the Cowl Grille, but I would guess their story may be Joe Blow aftermarket calls the Miata Cowl Grille a Wiper Cowl and as a Wiper Cowl it's part of the Wiper System which may be removed and can be covered or left open, not legal.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:24 am 

The NA and NB Miata's don't have a cowl cover stock that runs the full distance across the open panel between the windshield and hood as in Bill's picture. This is why some of the Miata's have had a problem at the runoffs. Kevin is absolutely correct, the windshield on an open car has to be within the footprint of the stock windshield. On an NC MX5, the cowl was completely covered so it can be covered in prod form as well. Easy stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:21 am 

I've never looked at the Cowl Grille on any cars out of your shop. The pre NC Miata's do not meet the hood as per Bill's picture but the Cowl Grille does travel forward under the hood leaving an approx. vertical gap of 3/4 inch, based on looking at my NA Miata. In my first post I was not referencing my car.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:27 am 

The point of my post was not to imply anyone was cheating.

It was to say that the rules are inconsistent, as to what trim pieces can be simply removed, and which/what parts can be removed but the resulting holes MUST be covered.

It's certainly minutia, but this is SCCA racing after all :)

All anyone asks is that we avoid the "gotcha" crap for a dumb piece of trim or plastic. I can understand why you have other priorities than trim pieces, but then reflect that same priority (low) when the trim pieces are missing (fix it later).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:57 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
The point of my post was not to imply anyone was cheating.

It was to say that the rules are inconsistent, as to what trim pieces can be simply removed, and which/what parts can be removed but the resulting holes MUST be covered.

It's certainly minutia, but this is SCCA racing after all :)

All anyone asks is that we avoid the "gotcha" crap for a dumb piece of trim or plastic. I can understand why you have other priorities than trim pieces, but then reflect that same priority (low) when the trim pieces are missing (fix it later).

The GCR glossary defines Trim as, "Coverings or attachments whose function is soley cosmetic."
Seems we can agree the sole function of the Cowl Grille is not cosmetic.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:18 am 

kruck wrote:
So every closed top car in Prod must have safety clips and straps on the front windshield, regardless of what your windshield is made of. However, if you have a polycarbonate windshield, and it's "securely bolted to the frame", you don't have to have the otherwise required clips and straps. So a glued in OEM windshield, that's original to the car, has to have clips and straps? Yes, apparently.

Is there a letter in the system regarding this? Seems silly that a bolted-in windshield does not require clips, yet a glued-in factory windshield does require clips. I suggest the reg was written with the expectation that the stock windshield would be removed (and it will be, for any "srs bzns" build...)

If there's no letter in the system now, I'll submit one for consideration/clarification at the Runoffs. That's one area of hassle we don't need in October.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 am 

Greg Amy wrote:
kruck wrote:
So every closed top car in Prod must have safety clips and straps on the front windshield, regardless of what your windshield is made of. However, if you have a polycarbonate windshield, and it's "securely bolted to the frame", you don't have to have the otherwise required clips and straps. So a glued in OEM windshield, that's original to the car, has to have clips and straps? Yes, apparently.

Is there a letter in the system regarding this? Seems silly that a bolted-in windshield does not require clips, yet a glued-in factory windshield does require clips. I suggest the reg was written with the expectation that the stock windshield would be removed (and it will be, for any "srs bzns" build...)

If there's no letter in the system now, I'll submit one for consideration/clarification at the Runoffs. That's one area of hassle we don't need in October.

It would be my best guess that this goes back to when most WS were actually mounted in rubber and had the potential to pop out

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:40 pm 

Yep.
When I was doing my build, I was surprised to see that I had to add clips to a stock windshield that I couldn’t remove with a sledgehammer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:54 am 

chois wrote:
Yep.
When I was doing my build, I was surprised to see that I had to add clips to a stock windshield that I couldn’t remove with a sledgehammer.

what's good for cars in the 60s must still be good for cars today.... :whistle:

STU Nissan 240SX

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next