prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:45 am 

Al Seim wrote:
I'm late commenting on this and won't muddy things by writing a letter, but I'm not 100% sure this was a good idea. (Removing retainers on bonded glass panels) Age+heat+sun+vibration+body flex+paint prep solvent etc can do a number on glass adhesive. I've had one bonded windshield and one bonded rear hatch glass come loose, both on road cars. The windshield was completely separated, just sitting in the opening. That was on a fairly new car, after a crash and subsequent respray, not sure if it was the crash or the respray or both.

Few Prod cars have glass windshields or hatch glass anyway, but if you do I'd advise caution as the installation ages.

Yeah, that would be a concern as well. a car with a poorly adhered respray and you are gluing the windshield to that.
I had that happen to a student I was instructing in a retired Ferrari Challenge car. he'd just taken delivery of it from Ferrari of Houston and was getting his first few laps in. about 10 laps into showing him around, it suddenly gets loud and REALLY hot inside the car. (because of the seats I couldn't turn my head and see what had happened) We pull into pits and lo and behold, the rear window is sitting in the engine bay. the shop had painted a black border around the windshield for cosmetics, and then glued it in place. the glue adhered to the paint, but the paint wasn't well adhered to the window. whoops. Ended his day at the track, 30 minutes after taking delivery of the car. glad it wasn't worse for all of us.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:53 am 

In the prelims:

GCR
1. #27273 (Greg Amy) Request to clarify windshield clips, OE glass-bonded windshields
In GCR Section 9.3.55, add wording as follows:
“Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to the frame. No clips or straps are required if bonded-glass factory windshields and/or rear windows are attached to chassis per original specifications (i.e., glass-bonding adhesive).”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:08 am 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to the frame.

So, we can just run bolts through the lexan windshields to the unibody and call it good - no clips or straps.

Got it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 am 

It was already that way, just didn't cover oem installation types

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:27 am 

Do I see straps in your avatar picture on your windshield Les?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 pm 

blamkin86 wrote:
Do I see straps in your avatar picture on your windshield Les?

No straps but I do still have the 3 supports on the inside of the windshield which I think are still required.

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
CLUB RACING BOARD MINUTES | November 5, 2019
Recommended Items

GCR
1. #27273 (Greg Amy) Request to clarify windshield clips, OE glass-bonded windshields
In GCR Section 9.3.55, add wording as follows:
“Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on vehicles with polycarbonate windows. all closed cars, except on American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to the frame. No clips or straps are required if bonded-glass factory windshields and/or rear windows are attached to chassis per original specifications (i.e., glass-bonding adhesive).”

Listing the car classes is unnecessary with the bonding change. The car class rules determine when polycarbonate is allowed. This rule should be how the window is restrained.