prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:54 am 

I've seen several cars this year without the required windshield clips and rear window braces.

GCR 9.3.54 (page #88-89) applies for all closed prod cars except as noted.

This is a safety item and will be checked at the Runoffs. Way easier to fix at the shop rather than at the track.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am 

Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

Many are bolted in per this addition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:27 pm 

Steve Eckerich wrote:
Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

Many are bolted in per this addition.

This was changed sometime back if I am correct

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:14 pm 

IT car in full IT specs also ok the way I read the rule.

Just be certain you meet the rule. Hate making people do busy work at Runoffs.

And just for the heck of it, check your front and rear track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 am 

The GCR General Competition rules (9.3.54 - "WINDSHIELDS/WINDSHIELD CLIPS/REAR WINDOW STRAPS"):
Quote:
Polycarbonate windshields such as Lexan are allowed except in Improved Touring, American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, T2, T3 and T4. Alternate windshields must be of 6mm minimum thickness.

Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.
2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.

It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

The Prod Category specific rules (9.1.5.E.9.a.8 - "Glass - Windshield and Door):
Quote:
A. Open cars may remove the windshield glass, door window glass, quarter window glass, rear glass, vent glass, as well as its frames/channels and all mounting brackets. Window winding mechanisms can be removed. If removed, a replacement windshield must be installed. The replacement windshield must be fitted within the vertical planes of the front most and rear most elements of the stock windshield and frame. The replacement windshield must not exceed the height or width of the stock windshield and frame. Any portion of the windshield that is in the driver’s line of sight, must be constructed of a clear material. No part of the replacement windshield can be constructed of glass. If the stock windshield frames/channels are retained, a high front roll cage hoop must be utilized, and the stock windshield can be retained or replaced. If replaced, the replacement windshield must be of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm, be identical in size and curvature to the stock glass windshield, and have a minimum of three vertical inner supports to prevent the windshield from collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps of aluminum. The inner supports must be mounted a minimum of eight inches apart. The rear window can be removed, as well as its frames/channels and mounting brackets.

B. Closed cars can retain or replace the stock glass windshield. The replacement windshield must be constructed of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm, and must be identical in size and curvature to the stock glass windshield. Replacement windshields must have a minimum of three inner supports to prevent the windshield from collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps of aluminum. The inner supports must be mounted a minimum of eight inches apart.

C. All cars can remove all door window, quarter window and vent window glass. Window winding mechanisms can be removed. Door window, vent window and quarter window frames/channels can be removed. Door window slots can be covered. Rear, door, vent, and quarter window glass can be replaced with a clear polycarbonate material having a minimum thickness of 3mm. The windows in the rear door of a 4 door car and quarter windows can be run in their stock open or closed position. Ducts can be installed in the door, vent and quarter windows or resultant door window openings, for the sole purpose of supplying cooling air to the driver. The duct(s) and the mount for the same in any door window opening cannot exceed 8” in height and 12” in length.

All of the bolding of statements here was done by me. I find these two statements to be interesting:
- "Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars..."
- "Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to the frame."

So every closed top car in Prod must have safety clips and straps on the front windshield, regardless of what your windshield is made of. However, if you have a polycarbonate windshield, and it's "securely bolted to the frame", you don't have to have the otherwise required clips and straps. So a glued in OEM windshield, that's original to the car, has to have clips and straps? Yes, apparently.

Another one I think some open top cars with chopped-top windshields need to pay attention to:
"If removed, a replacement windshield must be installed. The replacement windshield must be fitted within the vertical planes of the front most and rear most elements of the stock windshield and frame."

I don't feel like the bottom of many OEM windshields ran all the way underneath the vertical profile of the back edge of its hood. There's usually some gap of a cowl and covers between the two. Yet it seems like a lot of "replacement windshield's" run right up underneath the back of the hood, creating a nice and smooth aero transition.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 am 

I've worked on the forward limit of windshield and adding a piece to cover the hood openings now for two years. I believe all involved with that have been advised. Had one this year who I had warned last year say he wasn't going to the Runoffs so it made no difference. I wrote him up so he could see it did make a difference.

We run some speeds that the factory design for windshield retention may not suffice in case of a sudden stop or air pressure inside so the clips and straps maybe needed. But as I've said many times, I don't write the GCR, I only enforce what is there.

And I don't think any of you want to spend time at the Runoffs hunting straps and clips. So, I'm giving you more time while you are there to screw up the stuff that got you through the season successfully. See, I do remember my times at the Runoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:26 am 

Just noticed the post I just made was #666. Hmmmm!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:23 am 

kruck wrote:
Another one I think some open top cars with chopped-top windshields need to pay attention to:
"If removed, a replacement windshield must be installed. The replacement windshield must be fitted within the vertical planes of the front most and rear most elements of the stock windshield and frame."

I don't feel like the bottom of many OEM windshields ran all the way underneath the vertical profile of the back edge of its hood. There's usually some gap of a cowl and covers between the two. Yet it seems like a lot of "replacement windshield's" run right up underneath the back of the hood, creating a nice and smooth aero transition.

Yeah show me a prod miata with this black plastic trim OR the same gap between the hood and windshield, and I'll eat my hat.

And yes Jim, there should be easier/better rules for all this. Trim "can" be removed, if removed, the resulting opening "must" be covered. Or something. It's all over the place between headlights, parking lights, cowling, bumpers, all of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 am 

Do the stock windshields need the inner supports?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 am 

So something I just noticed above is that the dimension of the windshield clips (3" x 1" x 1/8") are specified in that rule. Not a minimum or maximum, but a specific size. That 3" length part struck something in my brain since I'm about 99% sure the clips on mine aren't 3" long..... So I did a little google image searching for "SCCA production race car"... Of the number of cars that show up in the image results with visible windshield clips, I'd venture to say that most are less than 3" long, and several are much wider than 1"- more like a 2"x2" square. So how many Prod cars are truly compliant to the rule as written?

While my car is out having the shocks rebuilt, I guess that's something I will be replacing. At least it's an easy fix...

STU Nissan 240SX