prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:38 am 

At Sebring. The sign regarding who or how many go to impound is almost always at the exit of the pits, leading to the paddock . Thus, you may take pressures on pit road. IMHO And why would you not ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 pm 

At Sebring, you drive out of the pits and tech is about another 30 yards. Why risk it? And after a cool down lap of over 3 miles, what do tire temps/pressures really tell you after a race? Post qualifying with a straight into pits tells you the real story.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 am 

FP Racer wrote:
At Sebring, you drive out of the pits and tech is about another 30 yards. Why risk it? And after a cool down lap of over 3 miles, what do tire temps/pressures really tell you after a race? Post qualifying with a straight into pits tells you the real story.

That doesn't work as a general line of thinking the only session we get is Q2 and R1(only P4 and back). Every Major/Super Tour I have been a part of has an impound all on Saturday after Q1 for drivers meeting and Sunday after R2 for awards. If we have to chase semantics around Impound All, Mandatory, Shall, Required, and 'why risk it' it will always put us in this situation.

So, is it ok for me to take tire pressures after Q1 if the sups state Impound All and Attendance Mandatory? Common sense and 'I've been doing it that way forever' tells me I can stop at Goodyear/Hoosier/Wife/Crew before exiting the hot surface of pit lane before exiting and ending my session.

In the case of the runoffs will our numbers be posted before the session therefore not allowing us to stop on pit lane and get pressures?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 am 

Generally speaking, if cars are not in technical impound (e.g., impound all after qually for a driver's meeting), no one is going to give you grief about stopping for pressures and temperatures.

However, if the cars are in technical impound (e.g., top-6 after Runoffs race) then no one should touch the cars prior to going directly to Impound. And even then, no one should really touch the cars unless directed to, or approved by, impound personnel.

Just ask the pit staff in advance if you have any concerns, and do all work within their presence so they can supervise.

Quote:
We need to disallow victory laps. That is an opportunity presented only to the class winner that allows them an additional lap to pick up more rubber/debris and thus influence their cars weight.

Anyone besides me remember the old Dr Jim Roberts story...?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 am 

Post Sun Race, no reason for pressures. But taking them all weekend long at the same place, about the same time from full on, is of course useful.
You are not risking anything if the sign is at the end of pit road. Tech has limited/ no control, until passing that sign.

Maybe a solution is to stop the top 4 cars on pit road, under tech control, and let the" teams"( I do my own) do temps and pressures. There seems to be plenty of tech peeps looking for something to do , most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am 

On the cheap side or spend a bit more for a better system.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-Wireless ... thena=true

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:41 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Post Sun Race, no legitimate reason for pressures. But taking them all weekend long at the same place, about the same time from full on, is of course useful.
You are not risking anything if the sign is at the end of pit road. Tech has limited/ no control, until passing that sign.

Maybe a solution is to stop the top 4 cars on pit road, under tech control, and let the" teams"( I do my own) do temps and pressures. There seems to be plenty of tech peeps looking for something to do , most of the time.

Fixed that for you.

I have observed "taking tire pressures in pit lane" after a race used as cover for "adding some weight".

It is the actions of the few that spoil it for the many.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:56 am 

David Dewhurst wrote:
On the cheap side or spend a bit more for a better system.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-Wireless ... thena=true

I tried a similar system. I found the refresh rate was frustratingly slow. It seems the pressures didn't move till half the session went by and I don't think they ever reached actual PSI.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm 

Chris, interesting feedback, thanks.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:43 am 

Just did my homework on the GCR and here's my takeaway FWIW

Quote:
A. Post Race Impound
1. Post-race impound is mandatory at all U.S. Majors Tour races as defined in the event-specific
supplemental regulations and at the Runoffs; it is recommended at all other events.
2. During impound activities, cars are not allowed to be worked on or touched by anyone unless
directed by a tech official.

This was just added in September. I wouldn't consider being in the pits as "impound activities" which means we are allowed to touch the cars in the pits. If they didn't want us touching the car in pits they would/should state that as well. They then follow it up with this:

Quote:
C. Minimum Impound Inspection
Unless otherwise specified in the Supplemental Regulations, the first 3 finishers in each class shall be
immediately impounded for a minimum of 30 minutes after their race is completed. The Race Director or
the Chief Steward may direct that additional finishers in any class may likewise be impounded. It is the
driver’s responsibility to know his finishing position and present his car to impound immediately, without
going to the paddock

Since they specifically stated "without going to the paddock", I think you are allowed to stop in the pits post race. They could have left that part out and left it as "present his car to the impound immediately", which I would have read as "no stopping in the pits when session ends".

Quote:
Failure to do so promptly will be reported to the Race Director or Chief Steward, and may result in penalty.

They then choose to use the word "promptly" instead of immediately. Promptly IMO is not the same as Immediately. This again suggests we are allowed to stop in the pits then proceed directly to impound

'84 VW GTI Rabbit | HP #18
Rochester, NY