prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:08 pm 

Thanks for doing the letter. Its a good idea.

In another section the GCR says:

It is the driver’s responsibility to know his finishing position and present his car to impound immediately, without going to the paddock. Failure to do so promptly will be reported to the Race Director or Chief Steward, and may result in penalty.

I read a couple of the Supps for my recent races and a couple said directly to impound and one did not.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:12 pm 

Mazdaseven wrote:

It is the driver’s responsibility to know his finishing position and present his car to impound immediately, without going to the paddock. Failure to do so promptly will be reported to the Race Director or Chief Steward, and may result in penalty.

I read a couple of the Supps for my recent races and a couple said directly to impound and one did not.

Unless the supps countermand the GCR, not saying something in the supps defaults to the GCR. Supps would be far shorter if regions didn't think they had to add something already in the GCR.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 pm 

Peter Olivola wrote:
Mazdaseven wrote:

Unless the supps countermand the GCR, not saying something in the supps defaults to the GCR. Supps would be far shorter if regions didn't think they had to add something already in the GCR.

And it gets worse when Regions recapitulate GCR provisions in their supps, and then that section of the GCR changes. I have seen that happen more than once.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:55 am 

Coming back to the OP's question (taking tire pressures after a session) for a moment, the exact GCR language is as follows:

5.9.3. Impound

A. Post Race Impound

2. During impound activities, cars are not allowed to be worked on or touched by anyone unless
directed by a tech official.

C. Minimum Impound Inspection
Unless otherwise specified in the Supplemental Regulations, the first 3 finishers in each class shall be
immediately impounded for a minimum of 30 minutes after their race is completed. The Race Director or
the Chief Steward may direct that additional finishers in any class may likewise be impounded. It is the
driver’s responsibility to know his finishing position and present his car to impound immediately, without
going to the paddock. Failure to do so promptly will be reported to the Race Director or Chief Steward, and
may result in penalty.

6.7.2. Assistance During Race Session Stoppage
Replenishing or assisting cars is allowed after a practice or qualifying session is stopped and before it is
restarted, but not after a race session is stopped and before it is restarted.

Taking tire pressures in the pit lane post-session is acceptable unless your car is directed to impound (either by rule or by official notice). If directed to impound, then wait until cleared from impound to do tire pressures. "Immediately" is generally interpreted as "without stopping".

During a race, under BFA or Red, any work on the car is forbidden. "Assisting" is generally interpreted as "touching". Doing so will move your car to the back on the restart.

There is some backstory on these go-directly-to-impound/do-not-touch rules. In and of itself, checking tire pressures is hardly objectionable. There is a very tiny minority who, if given the opportunity, will add weight or otherwise change the car before any inspection. Unfortunately, they spoil it for the vast majority of drivers who are not cheating. Sad, but true.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:37 am 

This was the response I received from a CRB Member:

The key words in this new verbiage in the GCR is – “During impound activities”. Parking and exiting/disconnecting from the car is a known fact that has to occur. The other key part is - “unless directed by an official.” All you need to do is ask a tech official if you have left the car and need to go back if you have forgotten to turn off the master or camera, etc.

Your question – Is taking tire pressure reading “touching” or working on the car? The answer to this is yes. I have had drivers multiple times ask if they can take tire pressures. Under the direction of a tech official, I have allowed them to perform that action because they asked and it was being monitored.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 pm 

Good to know. Usually you will know what your hot pressures will be at any given track by the time that you are actually racing, but at times with practice and qualifying in the wet it might be your first chance for that data point. In that case I would not think twice about getting pressures in the hot pits after the race knowing that I need to proceed "directly to impound". I would only do that if there was a race tomorrow, but I would not have thought that I was violating anything by doing it. Now I know better, and will go to impound and ask someone there if I could take pressures. Thanks for the info.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:39 am 

This is how our rulebook has ended up being eleventythousandbrazillion pages long. :lol:

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:05 am 

Can you give the driver a water?
12oz, one gallon, 2 gallons, How much , if any?
All that he or she can drink in 20 seconds? etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Can you give the driver a water?
12oz, one gallon, 2 gallons, How much , if any?
All that he or she can drink in 20 seconds? etc.

How long does it take to cross the scales?

If the car/driver weigh OK, then drink away.

If there is a potential weight issue, the tech should absolutely monitor the driver (and crew) and re-weigh the car/driver asap. I have no problem with the standard 12oz bottle of water.

The problem is that there is always one idiot who decides to pour a gallon of water over his driver while waiting to re-weigh. As I wrote above, it just takes a few unsportsmanlike players to poison the well for everybody.

Edit: In my experience, the vast majority of drivers will not cheat. A small number will cheat (why, I do not know). There is also a small group in the middle who may be tempted if an opening presents itself. Having clear, and credibly enforced, rules helps to remove temptation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 am 

So I think the original question wasn't pertaining to what happens IN impound. That is pretty clear.

The question is: What happens if you stop in the hot pits to take pressures, etc. before going to impound.

Hot pits are part of the track. Impound is impound. Rules talk about paddock.

Someone clear that one up for me, because I don't see why a car cannot stop in the hot pits, to do temps and give the driver water, since they are not in impound, nor are they in the paddock.

Also, how does that apply to race winners? If you stop in hot pits, pick up a crew member, go get your flag, do your lap, return to the hot pits, drop off your crew member, drink some water, keep the flag in your car, then go to impound are you breaking the rules?

Also, there are races, other than the runoffs, that have officials so anal that they will bust you for opening a hood in impound? I see it happen all the time. Hell, I did it all the time in the AS car, just to let out trapped heat. Cannot touch the car? So a crew member cannot even lean against it? Cannot work on I get. Cannot even touch?

Scott