prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 am 

John, it can take a long time to cross the scales. Most regions where I race, the tech people give out water to the drivers. Most drivers also get out of the car before the scales, depending on the wait time, and then a combination of crew, driver and tech people, and maybe some bystanders push the car onto the scales.

Hell lots of places require the driver out to weigh, since they only do 2 wheels at a time, with the driver on a 3rd scale.

There is common sense, and there is "gotcha". We need more common sense and a lot less "gotcha".

And to be clear, I am not saying you are a "gotcha" guy. You are by all accounts the exact opposite.

But I have seen it happen, and it is not pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 am 

Scott Sanda wrote:
John, it can take a long time to cross the scales. Most regions where I race, the tech people give out water to the drivers. Most drivers also get out of the car before the scales, depending on the wait time, and then a combination of crew, driver and tech people, and maybe some bystanders push the car onto the scales.

Hell lots of places require the driver out to weigh, since they only do 2 wheels at a time, with the driver on a 3rd scale.

There is common sense, and there is "gotcha". We need more common sense and a lot less "gotcha".

And to be clear, I am not saying you are a "gotcha" guy. You are by all accounts the exact opposite.

But I have seen it happen, and it is not pretty.

Scott,

I agree with you about the 'gotcha' mentality, and that the Club must rid itself of it. There is way too much of it. "Dressed in a little brief authority"

We need sensible rules, clearly communicated, and transparently enforced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 am 

Scott Sanda wrote:

Also, there are races, other than the runoffs, that have officials so anal that they will bust you for opening a hood in impound? I see it happen all the time. Hell, I did it all the time in the AS car, just to let out trapped heat. Cannot touch the car? So a crew member cannot even lean against it? Cannot work on I get. Cannot even touch?

Scott

Gonna take some real leadership to fix this issue. Not going to happen any time soon.

Too many little colonels in positions of authority, well beyond their abilities with too much power.

I'm happy to say what a great job the folks in Colorado are doing. It is so much better here now; it's amazing.

EDIT: Yeah, to be clear, the VAST GREAT majority of people I come in contact with are excellent. I'm just agreeing with the post above, about the few "Gotcha" guys. Plus the idiocy of not being able to check tire pressures after a race. YMMV.

Last edited by blamkin86 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 am 

We need to disallow victory laps. That is an opportunity presented only to the class winner that allows them an additional lap to pick up more rubber/debris and thus influence their cars weight. I'm driving through the gravel trap next time. :lol:

:snooty:

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 pm 

tschreyer wrote:
We need to disallow victory laps. That is an opportunity presented only to the class winner that allows them an additional lap to pick up more rubber/debris and thus influence their cars weight. I'm driving through the gravel trap next time. :lol:

:snooty:

most tracks around here have enough stray gravel in the paddock to do the same thing!

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 pm 

Scott..............had to chuckle when I read your post..."gotcha" crew...LOL we all know where "they" are.
I have always wondered do "they" know they are??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 am 

racer_tim wrote:
This was the response I received from a CRB Member:

The key words in this new verbiage in the GCR is – “During impound activities”. Parking and exiting/disconnecting from the car is a known fact that has to occur. The other key part is - “unless directed by an official.” All you need to do is ask a tech official if you have left the car and need to go back if you have forgotten to turn off the master or camera, etc.

Your question – Is taking tire pressure reading “touching” or working on the car? The answer to this is yes. I have had drivers multiple times ask if they can take tire pressures. Under the direction of a tech official, I have allowed them to perform that action because they asked and it was being monitored.

Well "unless directed by an official" is the rule and "Under the direction of a tech official" is what he allowed so you can take pressures. So sort of the same thing. But I guess the key would be to ask and then they can watch and make sure you did not change anything.

At regionals I am just gong to get pressures after the race like always as nobody is going to care and at majors I will not if I am in the top 3 which is the same thing I have been doing. But now I know for sure not to.

FP Mazda Miata
EP 1989 RX7
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL RX7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

John Nesbitt wrote:
Coming back to the OP's question (taking tire pressures after a session) for a moment, the exact GCR language is as follows:

Taking tire pressures in the pit lane post-session is acceptable unless your car is directed to impound (either by rule or by official notice). If directed to impound, then wait until cleared from impound to do tire pressures. "Immediately" is generally interpreted as "without stopping".

I read this as I can take pressures in pit lane. The impound all or impound 3 sign is not seen until you leave the track therefore I have not been yet directed to goto impound and can take the pressures in pit lane. This does assume that nothing unusual has happened prior like I was flagged or directed to goto impound or the supps say go directly to impound.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm 

Read the supps. For our SARRC and ECR races in SEDiv, it clearly says in the supps for all races that the top 3 cars will report to impound. We did not direct cars to impound.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Read the supps. For our SARRC and ECR races in SEDiv, it clearly says in the supps for all races that the top 3 cars will report to impound. We did not direct cars to impound.

What Jim says.

MARRS supps are the same - top 3 in class "directly" to impound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next