prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:08 pm 

I have always been afraid after a race to get hot tire pressures in the pits. I still see a lot of people doing it. So the rules (and supps normally) say you must procede directly to impound without going to the paddock.

Also there is the new rule that says: During impound activities, cars are not allowed to be worked on or touched by anyone unless directed by a tech official.

So could you get disqualified for letting your crew get hot tire pressures ? Sometimes we try and get them in the impound as I always figured that was OK to do it there as we had already proceded directly to impound.

So can you legally get hot tires pressures after a race?

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:03 pm 

Taking tire pressures in the hot pit lane, or even in impound isn't "working" on your car.

Now, if you're taking pressures, then filling them up with a liquid to add weight, that might be a different story.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 am 

But by taking pressures it is being "Touched" which is the wording of the new rule. Seems like if you are in the hot pits maybe you would be OK as you are not in the impound area. Normally the supps are just trying to say you can't go to the paddock and then impound. So everyone is going through the hot pits and it is part of the track. YOu are allowed to work on the car during the race there but not in the paddock.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:17 am 

Dont touch the car if you are top 3 . Dont touch the car under a black flag all or red flag, pit road stop .
Many pro situations dont allow the car to be touched after the flag falls for that session. If we needed to get hot pressures we needed to get it with one to go in qualifying.
Go to the tower for your race and ask somebody in charge, take your phone and document the answer.

Ask me if I'm still a little pissed for getting penalized for opening the hood, more so that the pit stewards didnt not know how to proceed and moved us post race .
Hopefully the word "assist" has been removed or replaced by now, but I havent looked .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:07 am 

Yes Mike - You got screwed by that ruling and it was all a surprise to the rest of us. It begs the question that Peter O. brought up about a competitor not having to be penalized for an official's mistake. When you asked if it was all right to open the hood and they told you it was, then it should have been ruled that you were given permission from an official. They should not be allowed to tell you later that because someone put you in the wrong position on restart that it was your mistake.

Of course I got screwed too because the race should have been over IMHO while we ran out of time in the pits instead of being forced to go back on track with a broken transmission.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 am 

So, looking at the June GCR,

5.9.3. Impound
A. Post Race Impound
1. Post-race impound is mandatory at all U.S. Majors Tour races as defined in the event-specific supplemental regulations and at the Runoffs; it is recommended at all other events.
2. During impound activities, cars are not allowed to be worked on or touched by anyone unless directed by a tech official.

I guess we now need to define what "touched" is. Hell, if the car can't be touched, how do you get out of the car without touching it?

This new 2nd section was added in the 2019 GCR. It wasn't in the Dec 2018 version, and shows up in the 2019 monthly versions.

I wrote to the CRB this morning, asking to define "touched".

Here is what I wrote:

Request: Looking at the June GCR, section 2 is in red and has been modified from a previous version.

5.9.3. Impound
A. Post Race Impound
1. Post-race impound is mandatory at all U.S. Majors Tour races as defined in the event-specific supplemental regulations and at the Runoffs; it is recommended at all other events.
2. During impound activities, cars are not allowed to be worked on or touched by anyone unless directed by a tech official.

Please define "touched". Is taking tire pressure readings "touching" or working on the car?

In the following tasks, a driver or crew has to touch the car. Exiting the vehicle, turning off the kill switch, camera, cool suit connections, radio connections, removing the steering wheel.

Please clarify what is and isn't allowed. I know this is nit picky, but you know SOMEBODY with a burr up their backside will protest somebody for "touching" a car without being directed by a tech official.

Thanks

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm 

When do "Impound Activities" begin? Checkered flag? Pit Lane? Pit Lane Exit? Tech Shed Lane? Tech Shed?

RJS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:41 pm 

When I’m on pit row, and see a sign that says “impound is this way” then I must not be in impound yet.

I get hot pressures while I’m still on pit road.

However, there is no rule for changing tire pressures in prod class - so you must run the factory pressure as delivered from the OEM.

(Kidding on the pressures...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the laugh Ron . You're right , you won on the time limit , Mike won on track , Steph won in impound. We all had our moment .
To be fair , I never asked if it was OK to open the Hood. I knew it was not OK to adjust anything , i just wanted to eyeball the belt.
I wrote a letter asking for some definition of "assist" and was turned down as being OK as is. But History has shown that it is clearly not OK with 4 pit stewards not having a definition, or the next procedure.
History .. Any way , on to the next race soon. we hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm 

Mazdaseven wrote:
I have always been afraid after a race to get hot tire pressures in the pits. I still see a lot of people doing it. So the rules (and supps normally) say you must procede directly to impound without going to the paddock.

So can you legally get hot tires pressures after a race?

If the word "directly" is used it's likely we should define "directly".

Definition, "without changing direction or stopping."

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14