prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:05 am 

Brett W wrote:
Be easier to just allow a price capped 4pot caliper and max rotor size, but............... :boohoo:

Bingo, Brakes are free and cheaper in GTL

Attachments:
DSC_0797-2.JPG
DSC_0797-2.JPG [ 291.89 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:08 pm 

No one in Prod has problems with their stock brakes. Some dude raced on Drums back in the day and he was fast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:30 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
Brett W wrote:
Be easier to just allow a price capped 4pot caliper and max rotor size, but............... :boohoo:

Yeah, but using a non-production caliper is not within Production philosophy. If you want to put brakes on your Prod car, you can go to STU.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:04 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
Joe Harlan wrote:
Brett W wrote:

Yeah, but using a non-production caliper is not within Production philosophy. If you want to put brakes on your Prod car, you can go to STU.
Smarter to go GT racing... :) way cheaper in the end.. I have 1 rear end 2000 bucks and 20+ gear sets at 100 bucks each. Anyway this is getting way of the original topic.. Later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 pm 

Why go STU. Spridgets with MGB front calipers and Wilwood rears are legal in Prod and GTL. Don't know facts on other makes but it can't be much different.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
Smarter to go GT racing... :) way cheaper in the end.. I have 1 rear end 2000 bucks and 20+ gear sets at 100 bucks each. Anyway this is getting way of the original topic.. Later.[/quote]

GT3 is on life support, when the current crop of GTL racers retire, who will run the cars (whats the average age of GTL drivers)? GT2 requires a TA2 car or a ex World Challenge Z06 to have any chance. Even Patton is having a tough time making the show.

GT makes total sense. Easy to repair cars, common parts, etc. 100K local dirt track guys get that part right. That ship has sailed though. So many groups outside of SCCA don't allow the tube chassis cars in all but the most unlimited classes. $$$$

Prod is a good call even with the goofy rules. $200K builds, are mostly rare in Prod.

Agreed Back to the 240.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm 

Bob Hess wrote:
Why go STU. Spridgets with MGB front calipers and Wilwood rears are legal in Prod and GTL. Don't know facts on other makes but it can't be much different.

Bob

The big Triumphs are allowed vented front brakes where there are none (XKE front hub / brake assembly), and I think some BMC cars are allowed like unobtainable AP calipers from the early 1980s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 pm 

hoffman900 wrote:
Bob Hess wrote:

Bob

The big Triumphs are allowed vented front brakes where there are none (XKE front hub / brake assembly), and I think some BMC cars are allowed like unobtainable AP calipers from the early 1980s.
I cant think of any LP cars that have been given brakes..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
hoffman900 wrote:
Bob Hess wrote:

Bob

I cant think of any LP cars that have been given brakes..
As Bob Hess has tried to point out the Spridgets, both level 1 and level 2 limited prep ALL get the MGB calipers with Triunph Spitfire rotors that was negotiated back in the dark ages when the G and F cars started going faster than their brakes could handle. There is certainly precident for allowing brakes that didn't get delivered by the dealer on limited prep cars.

I think the CRB resists opening up brakes for every car because whenever they allow such an upgrade, a number of what I would call the fringe racers complain that they have just cost them $XXX dollars because now they "must have" those parts. Forget the fact that they are missing a zillion other performance improvements and may or may not be able to drive their way out of a paper bag, but they will resist a wholesale upgrade that could ultimately cost them money.

If you can create a legitimate need for a car that would otherwise be competitive if only it had a better brake package, and can define a cheap bolt-on version of another car's stock brake components, I think you would be surprised that you might get it approved. Most of the letters asking for brakes want them to be left wide open, and that won't fly from what I have seen. However, you may have to get the car on the track before you can convince them that the brakes are needed.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion