prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 pm 

Looking at the spec line for the S14 Nissan 240SX (91-98), I don't see any reason for someone to want to build one of these cars. (A friend was contemplating what to do with his)

The stats:
2600-2730lbs depending on transmission. Holy fat man
15x7 wheel
10:1in rotor in the front and similar rear

10.5:1 compression ratio and .450 cam lift limit

Motor makes 155hp from the factory. Compression is 9.5ish.

Why the extra weight? Has anyone ever built and run one in competition?

Seems like kind of an odd set of stats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:41 am 

If I had to guess? Someone was scared of it for some reason when it was first classed.

240SX: 2.4L 4-cylinder, 10.5:1 & .450, 15x7 wheel, & 257mm brakes = 2600 lbs
Boxster: 2.5L 6-cylinder, 12.0:1 & .500, 17x8.5 wheel, & 298mm brakes = 2555 lbs

I know which one I'd build.

Tell your friend to drift it, like everyone else with a S14. :lol:

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:56 am 

Oh, I have. All he gets from me is drifty kid comments. HAHA.

He wants to do something road racing and likes building his cars, so I told him the S14 could be a great Limited Prep car, that he could build and get on track. He was also looking at Time Attack as he gets to do stupid stuff with the motor and aero. I told him to build the Prod car, it would be faster than most of the field at a TT event if he learned to drive.

At the current spec that car needs to be an FP car. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 am 

Paging Joe Harlan!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 am 

I looked at the Prod rules and built my S14 for STU.
the early models 89-91 (and up to 94 if you backdate the motor) have a single cam engine which is more of a 'Prod motor'. (same one they use in GT3, etc). It gets higher compression and a decent size cam. The DOHC engine they started running in 92 evidently scared people off, and you have to run near stock compression and the intake manifold suuuucks for making decent power. it's got a fat torque curve, but runs out of air quickly with the limited prep rules. with the factory intake, there's no way it can reliably surpass 200whp, which is needed at the insane weight they throw at it.

the SOHC engine gets a compression bump, more cam, etc, BUT the crank is bendy with its 1/2 counterweight design and the SOHC block is weak, so the thing flexes and likes to go on permanent vacation if spun more than 6000rpm on a regular basis. the DOHC engine in mine (still stock internals and ECU waiting on the STU ruleset to stop moving before I built anything) has been revving to 6800 since I started tracking it in 2005, and now has over 30,000 track miles on it. never had the head off the engine- only the usual gaskets and seals have been replaced, so it's stupid reliable in OEM trim-- it just doesn't make enough power for Prod!

regarding the weight, my '96 weighs about 2400lb with all factory body panels, bumper supports, glass, complete OEM wiring harness, dash cover as required by STU, and no driver (so 2650 race weight with organic ballast). if you did the basic bodywork parts and wiring harness cleanup as allowed in Prod you could likely get it to 2200 or so dry-- so you could certainly achieve a lower weight IF it was allowed.

the 15x7 wheels also hurt it, and many people have tried to get the CRB to move on that 15x7 size.. but since the car was built back in the day of the 15" wheel, nobody will budge on that rule.

it could really be a pretty decent car, but hobbled by the restricted factory intake manifold and the Prod ruleset for making enough power to compete at that weight. And with the "come race it and get beat for a season and then we'll think about it and still tell you no" mindset, its a car with the deck stacked against it from day 1.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 am 

Apparently the S14 came with a 16in wheel of some variety. According to Wiki.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I hate sending people to other organizations with their cars.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 am 

I went through a stock one and slapped a megasquirt and turbo kit on it about 8 years ago. I didn't think the head looked bad, looked like it could flow some air, and the intake manifold was pretty large and wrapped around to make it longer.

Xcessive makes some cool intakes for it and they flowed a stock one:
On the flow bench: Stock head and valves at .340" lift, 28" H2O vacuum, Stock intake 190 CFM,

So that's close to 190ish HP, with alot of torque.

I guess if you were really interested you would call up the Nissan engine shops on the west coast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:51 am 

Not trying to pick on you Matt, but I get a kick out of people that are worried about wasting a whole year with an uncompetitive car while they wait for the CRB to improve the specs for their car of choice. I would suggest that most people could be given the specs for the biggest overdog imaginable, and they wouldn't be world-beaters or in most cases even competitive in the first year of development.

I get it that there is no certainty that the CRB will do anything to help you after you bring the car out, but there IS a certainty that nothing will be done if you don't. Since the tin-tops have been added to our class the CRB has given us a number of weight breaks over the years. They like to deal with weight, so if that is the major problem I wouldn't be surprised if they helped with that. In our case we still may not be there yet, but for sure if we don't continue to show an inequity nothing will happen.

Sometimes just asking them to take another look at the specs will get some attention. Looking over Kevin's example I would say that the 240SX is getting screwed or else the Boxster is an overdog. Get a podium finisher like Harlan, who knows the car, to write a letter along with a couple more.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 am 

I don't mind writing a letter on my customer's behalf, but would be interesting to see what the car could actually do.

Damn, why can't people just build Miatas and be done with it. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am 

I owned one for years.. Its not going to make enough power to even get close.. Sad too because its a great car. Car is also way to heavy for the factory brakes. So all in all its just not a good prod fit..

Joe Harlan Member #175515