prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:46 am 

I agree it came with a pretty hefty stock camshaft. Lift was over the STL class limits.

The intake is really no different than the Honda GSR type intake. Its probably worse as its a plastic intake that really isn't easily modified. I guess when its on the dyno we will try locking the butterfly valve open and letting the ECU close it. The reality is the valve would be open in race conditions anyway as the RPM and load targets would be well above 5000rpm anyways.

The factory did a nice job with the header though. It was definitely better than the base model Focus. The reality is its a factory limited prep motor when you really get down to it. They took a low performance engine, the base model Zetec which made 130hp. SO whats the first steps we all would do, Raise the compression, put a bigger cam, install a nice header and look at the air inlet system. Ford did that and got their gains just like a good hot rodder. Without going really crazy there isn't a lot left in the motor for a limited Prep type racing. Now if you could really crank up the compression, port the head, toss the plastic intake manifold for some ITBS, etc, you probably could see some measurable gains, but in Prod that isn't possible. There is no real way that the SVT could make EP power and I seriously doubt the car could get down below 2200lbs with a driver.

I'm going to help the owner work on the car and see what can be done weight wise. The front struts are gonna really hurt its chances on the suspension side, but for the owner he loves his "girl's car" and he wants to come out and get into road racing. He is ready to move out of TT and HPDE after many years of doing well there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 am 

yea quick google fu on the compression is 10.2:1. so it probably wont gain 50hp with 0.8 compression and .5mm of extra lift.

Cams:
O.E.M. Cam
duration 277 / 265
duration 230 / 220
maximum lift 10.95 / 9.85mm
lift at TDC 0.25 / 1.05mm
parts O.E.M.
application O.E.M

The car does get the biggest brakes at 300mm and biggest wheels at 17"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:15 am 

Brett W wrote:
The intake is really no different than the Honda GSR type intake. Its probably worse as its a plastic intake that really isn't easily modified. I guess when its on the dyno we will try locking the butterfly valve open and letting the ECU close it.

Clarification: not that different from a 94-01 Integra GSR intake, or the 92+ H-Series Prelude intake, all of which are in EP.

How anyone chooses to fiddle with their intake manifold is up to them, their relationship with the GCR, and their propensity for risk aversion, just like any other modification anyone does to their car.

The brakes and wheels are pretty big, but not going to force a car to run something less than what it came with stock. In return, it's also now the second heaviest car in the class, only 25lbs lighter than the RWD 1.8L Z3/E36. I personally don't see the wheel/tire allowance as that big of a positive, on a car of that weight and power potential. I'll gladly take my 15x7's that weigh under 10lbs a piece, give me the gearing and suspension geometry I want, and allow me to fit all the tire that I need.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 am 

No one says the car needs to run 17X8s. It will be a heavy car, no way around that.

Like I said, it has some good things, but also has some disadvantages.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:42 pm 

Messing with the intake will lead to problems. Not an open area as per GCR. Look elsewhere. More to be gained by making car exterior clean and smooth. Always amazes me when I look at the rough edges. Don't believe me. Just stick your hand up in the air when your going 100 MPH. That's what your entire car feels. Good luck with build.

Off to VIR in AM as soon as storm lets up and then on to Sonoma on Monday. And no I was not vaccinated. I blame my mother for taking me to stock car races when I was 5. Banjo Matthews was my hero. Everyone but me hated him but he won every race. Car number "X".

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 am 

Its not really "messing" with the intake manifold. There is a vacuum operated butterfly valve in the intake to switch runner length. Safety wiring that butterfly into the open position is no different than relying on the ECU to open that valve. In realtime operation on track that valve is going to be open all the time. No sense in allowing it to close. Just like the GSR intake manifold, they are open at 5800rpm in OE form, none of these engines would see below 6000+ on track.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 am 

FP Racer wrote:
And no I was not vaccinated. I blame my mother for taking me to stock car races when I was 5. Banjo Matthews was my hero. Everyone but me hated him but he won every race. Car number "X".

Back in the day 1955/1957 did you happen to see the Carl Kiekhaefer Chrysler 300's raced by none other than Kiekhaefer's #1 driver Buck Baker. They had enclosed transporters and the very best of everything and Karl was an engineer. Because of all the alleged griping by other drivers he quit NASCAR in 1957. I viewed one Chrysler 300 race at the Milwaukee Mile in 1954.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 am 

Brett W wrote:
Its not really "messing" with the intake manifold. There is a vacuum operated butterfly valve in the intake to switch runner length. Safety wiring that butterfly into the open position is no different than relying on the ECU to open that valve. In realtime operation on track that valve is going to be open all the time. No sense in allowing it to close. Just like the GSR intake manifold, they are open at 5800rpm in OE form, none of these engines would see below 6000+ on track.

ECU is free, right? operating position of a valve controlled by the ECU is thus open as well.. since you're not modifying the valve, just holding it in a fixed position, I see no harm in that. if the tech shed had a problem with it, you could wire the solenoid that operates it to +12V or whatever and just hold the thing open the whole time the engine is running.

stuff like that will be worth playing on a dyno.. I had an old Nissan Maxima with a similar valve in the intake runners and a variable cam timing solenoid. we were able to add significant midrange torque (20ft lb at 4500rpm or so) just by adjusting when those guys opened and closed, which are all simply values in an ECU table based on RPM and engine load..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm 

Yup some time on the dyno will see where the best area under the curve arrives.