prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 pm 

Still filling out the paperwork, but should the car land in EP or FP?

170HP 2900lbs Stock:
http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts ... /2002.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:13 pm 

I certainly hope this wouldn’t be a FP car at that stock output.

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:42 pm 

I would think that is on the bubble... On the high end for stock power, and the 17" wheel fitment mean it would typically be allowed 18x8. So now you have to sell the PAC on a car that makes as much/more power than the Acura/Honda and gets a bigger wheel/tire package. Didn't look, but I would guess those brakes are also bigger than the Integra.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 am 

Its a HEAVY car though. I'm trying to remember what it weighs at the moment but with driver its in the 2600lb range. That is with a roll bar not a full cage yet. There is a lot of metal in the car

The brakes are pretty big on the front, but its a strut car. After looking through some of the lines, it looks like it may be something like the Acura RSX or Maybe the Civic EP3.

I don't know how much power it could actually make, plus there isn't a lot of support for that engine. Since the Duaratec showed up, everyone pretty much dropped the Zetec engine.

After studying it a bit last night, I would expect it to land in EP. It would make sense to see about 12:1 and .500in cam lift, then fit the weight at 2300lbs or something in that range. I don't think running a 18in wheel would be smart on the car. It is currently running a 15x8 in Time trial and that works well. It would hurt the car to run the 18 as its so much taller, thus hurting gearing, ride height, etc.

I'm working with the current owner on the VTS so I guess we will see where it lands, but EP sounds right.

Its either EP or STL. Don't think it could ever make the power the car needs to compete against the Hondas in STL at 2600lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 am 

fwiw, my son has one of these so I'm pretty familiar with them.

The stock power may be misleadingly high, in that it is essentially a tuned (by Cosworth) version of the std Zetec, which only made 130bhp IIRC. Cylinder head is a bit different but it's mostly just an "already modified" Zetec. IE this engine won't get big power gains when "Prod modified". Stock, it's got hot cams, 4:1 tube headers, more compression etc than the std engine, and is tuned for Premium gas, none of which get you anything once replaced by Prod parts.

I'd think more of an F car than an E car.

BTW, Mike Sperber in NC has built a Focus ST STL car, might be worth talking to him if you haven't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 am 

Al Seim wrote:
fwiw, my son has one of these so I'm pretty familiar with them.

The stock power may be misleadingly high, in that it is essentially a tuned (by Cosworth) version of the std Zetec, which only made 130bhp IIRC. Cylinder head is a bit different but it's mostly just an "already modified" Zetec. IE this engine won't get big power gains when "Prod modified". Stock, it's got hot cams, 4:1 tube headers, more compression etc than the std engine, and is tuned for Premium gas, none of which get you anything once replaced by Prod parts.

I'd think more of an F car than an E car.

BTW, Mike Sperber in NC has built a Focus ST STL car, might be worth talking to him if you haven't.

Mike thinks Prod is a TERRIBLE idea. He ask me if the heat from Alabama had finally gotten to me. Think he wants to stick with STL. You know "something something $100k race cars" in prod.

Agreed, when you drive one of the stock cars its far from an Integra GSR/ITR or a RSX. The bottom end is pretty soggy. I have the owner's copy of the factory service manual and will be helping him fill out the VTS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am 

Do these also have the extrude honed stock intake manifolds, like the contour?
I always thought these were pretty cool cars when new.
My opinionometer says probably an E car. With the allowances in Prod I'm sure it can lose plenty of weight. Our VW is probably a 2400ish car on the road without driver, but plenty of us race at 2100 with ballast, cage and driver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:30 am 

SVT Focus intake is molded plastic so naturally smooth. Two stage, has a movable inner air horn piece that extends runner length at lower revs.

SVT Contour V6 had the extrude honed (aluminum) ports as you note, I still daily drive one of those!

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 am 

Sounds like you should look at the 92-93 Integra GSR as your bogey, as it was a similar story. The RS/LS/GS Integra was 1.8L and made 140hp, while the GSR was a 1.7L (shorter stroke) that made 170hp. It was hotted up with more compression, more cam, 2mm bigger intake valves, and a head and manifold that flowed a little better. Other than that, they're 100% the exact same car. So when built to the same specs under the Prod rulebook, that stock 30hp difference comes down a lot. So they're both in FP, at a weight difference of 90lbs, for the better flowing head and manifold. The GSR will make a bit more power, while the RS/LS/GS will make a bit more torque. In the end, it's a wash, IMO. Me, I've stayed with the 1.8L, just because they're cheap and plentiful, while the 1.7L is hens teeth and bucks.

Can you tell a similar story? That this is a hotted up version of a lesser engine, through differences that will mostly be negated under the Prod rulebook?

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am 

Kevin nailed it IMO.