prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: MX5 Cup car in EP
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 am 

And Sam, I wasn't trying to admonish you at all.

I'm just shocked at how many people think the miata should just win everywhere.

I know you don't feel that way. Yes, it is a very hard problem - but the horse was let out of the barn years ago and just now people are becoming competitive with non-miatae.

Again, not directed at you, but if others want that sort of thing (lots of cars race, but rule are skewed so that one car can win anywhere), they should go to SM, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:11 pm 

And more already plus what I referred to as other organizations making our rules in the June tech bulletin.
EP
1. #24480 (Randall Smart) Clarify MX-5 2016+ specs
In EP, MX-5 2016-2018, change the block material in the spec line as follows:
Iron to Aluminum
Note from the CRB: The weight specified in the Global Cup Rules is the weight the car must run. If the weight stated in those Rules changes, there will be no need to revise the specification line for this car.

And I find it interesting that someone says the car is perfectly already prod legal while it has after market front brakes. What else?

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:26 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
And more already plus what I referred to as other organizations making our rules in the June tech bulletin.
EP
Iron to Aluminum
Note from the CRB: The weight specified in the Global Cup Rules is the weight the car must run. If the weight stated in those Rules changes, there will be no need to revise the specification line for this car.

And I find it interesting that someone says the car is perfectly already prod legal while it has after market front brakes. What else?

OK I did a little research.

The spec line says 11" brake rotors, which is the factory size for these "ND" miatas, from what I can find.

The spec line then goes on to say that the car must meet all the cup rules, which obviously it cannot if it has to run stock brakes.

I think rather than whining about this, maybe some real information should be presented by the OP.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:54 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
EP
Iron to Aluminum

If you're referring to my comment about it being Prod legal, the brakes are referred to on Long's website as being "stock Brembo 4 piston front calipers". If that's an incorrect statement and those brakes aren't factory-stock on the car, then I rescind my earlier comment that the car would be legal for Prod as-is. (reference http://www.longroadracing.com/globalmx5 ... tures.html ) Maybe they're "stock" from some other car? Lots of cars are coming from the manufacturer with big red calipers on them now..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:39 pm 

No Matt - mainly Chris (OP) needs to explain what the issue with the car is.

I think he's upset because they aren't running fiberglass and may smash in to people... not anything about the specs.

But honestly I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:51 pm 

Looks like stock brakes are single piston.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf ... _specs.pdf

edit: an EP racer and MX5 owner tells me that the Brembos are part of an optional package. I have no idea how options fit into the prod brake rules.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:48 pm 

disquek wrote:
Looks like stock brakes are single piston.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf ... _specs.pdf

edit: an EP racer and MX5 owner tells me that the Brembos are part of an optional package. I have no idea how options fit into the prod brake rules.

-Kyle
I am of the understanding that cars are classed on the base model..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:02 pm 

Is it just me or does it seem this car should have been given some research and input from the other EP racers before it was just dumped into prod?

My primary objection is that the rules on this prod car and only this prod car be changed by another sanctioning body without anyone in SCCA having a say. And as I have already said, the complete specs on the car are not available. Anyone know the cam lift? How about head porting/prep? Anyone been in one of these motors? Someone said the car runs at 2400lbs. Is that with a 180 lb driver? What is the base weight of car?

Someone who thought the car was totally GCR compliant now realizes the front brakes are not. What else? And remember, tire compounds change just like the weather.

BTW, there's a company here in Atlanta called Dixie Stamp & Seal. They can make any seal you want in less than a week. Sealed engine?

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 am 

I don’t think anyone here has a problem with newer cars coming into Prod. We need it to keep the category healthy while continuing to move forward, and the latest generation of the MX5 is a perfect fit in Prod. That said, my concern with this particular classification is the request seems to be for the ND MX5 to land somewhere in Prod, however the ‘approval’ just automatically shows the MX5 Cup car (??). How did this happen? Better yet, why did this happen? As others have pointed out, there should be additional due diligence as these cars are governed by another organization's rules. Touring and ST have always historically been the placement for Pro and ex-Pro cars from whichever series, and again, this car is already CORRECTLY classed in T3. In fact, there was a SCCA Racing Memo from June 2017 (published in September) which specifically states the intention to make the MX5 Cup car the benchmark for T3 (https://www.scca.com/downloads/37974-rm-17-06/download).

These cars already have a correct and competitive place to race in Majors in their homologated form with DOT tires (as indicated on their T3 spec line). Oh, and they have ABS too which definitely shouldn’t exist in Prod.

#02 EP Z3
Hoosier/Carbotech/TeamJBS

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 am 

More entries = more contingency right?

Dont see what the big deal is. No one wants to ram their really expensive Mx5 cup car into your nice fiberglass body work.

They are faster than B spec, and the only way one of these cars will win a race would be if everyone else broke.

Some cars do get better brakes in prod, just consider this an option in the spec line. "may run mx5 cup spec brakes with a sealed engine."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next