prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am 

For a BOD guy that had no clue about his own run grouping the the club's premier series, you talk tough.

Running unopposed is what you do best.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 am 

I just texted Ara Malkassian. If anyone knows the potential of a Global MX5 cup car, he's got a good idea.

According to Ara, a good driver at MSRHouston will run a 1:44, 1:43 with fresh tires in a GMX5C car.

EP track records are 1.41-1.42, depending on direction. I run 1.44-1.45 on decent tires. and the fastest guys are usually in the 42-43 range. So a GMX5C car would be right at the front of the EP pack.

That's just one track and one data point, but the jist is that they're in the ballpark of a top-5 EP car.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
I just texted Ara Malkassian. If anyone knows the potential of a Global MX5 cup car, he's got a good idea.

According to Ara, a good driver at MSRHouston will run a 1:44, 1:43 with fresh tires in a GMX5C car.

EP track records are 1.41-1.42, depending on direction. I run 1.44-1.45 on decent tires. and the fastest guys are usually in the 42-43 range. So a GMX5C car would be right at the front of the EP pack.

That's just one track and one data point, but the jist is that they're in the ballpark of a top-5 EP car.

COTA lap records
EP Reynolds 2:29.433
FP Henry 2:33.245

2018 MX-5 Cup fastest race lap Dean II 2:34.885

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 am 

Jason,

You don't understand the issue here.

It's not about these cars winning EP races.

It's about these cars ruining races for legit small bore slicks racers when they're just "testing" in yet another run group on the same weekend.

Should all cars that run a similar lap time be classed in other run groups so they can get extra seat time?

Should I ask that GTL and FP cars be classed in T3 because our lap records at VIR are similar? I'd like to get a second run group in too.

These cars are already fairly classed in Touring. They have no business being "Special" and asking for a second run group. Because if they can, then we all can.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am 

disquek wrote:
The BS grouping is not a local thing. The grouping from Topeka for all Super Tour events puts BS into Small Bore Slicks (because Preston Calvert wants to run both T1 and T2). The local Majors in NEDIV actually have BS in Small Bore DOT, where it belongs.

-Kyle

Michael Pettiford does the same down here in the redneck south with Vette in T1 and Solstice in T2.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 am 

disquek wrote:
These cars are already fairly classed in Touring. They have no business being "Special" and asking for a second run group. Because if they can, then we all can.

-Kyle

Ummmm Heloooo Kyle,,,, Because MAZDA,,,?
The unwritten GCR rule is that If there be any class that is not overrun by Mazda Miatas of some kind double or triple dipping,,, a special rule shall be created so that class does become overrun with a Mazda Miata product double or triple dipping.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:

COTA lap records
EP Reynolds 2:29.433
FP Henry 2:33.245

2018 MX-5 Cup fastest race lap Dean II 2:34.885

What were the average times for the rest of the EP and FP packs? with the GMX5C group usually within a small window of times because spec class, the EP and FP cars are all over the place..
2018 COTA Super Tour Sunday fast lap times:
EP
Reynolds 2:30.4
Williams 2:33.99
Rogerson 2:34.8
Yagel 2.37.3
Bachenberg 2.42.8

Those were the top 5. I'm not going to bother with the rest of them. But you can see that the fast lap times would be right in the middle of the top 3 EP cars. Of course it's also likely that they would be in the same top 5 mix of FP cars.

The EP guys

so the issue I see is: are we looking at lap times and saying "yeah, they'll mix and they're on slicks, let 'em in", or are we looking at it and saying "this gives these guys a place to go where they'll screw with the results for those trying for a points championship."
For guys like me that usually run a couple seconds behind the fastest EP guys in the country, I have little hope of getting ANY contingency dollars if these guys show up and play part-time within our class and muck with the mid-pack results.

That said, take a look at the actual build specs of the car.. http://www.longroadracing.com/globalmx5cupcar.html
Based on a quick read of the car's specs, it sounds quite in line with a limited prep modern car that could be normally classed in production had someone requested to classify the MX5 chassis instead of specifically the global MX5 Cup car. There's nothing in that list of mods or performance specs that sounds "outside Production class philosophy"... 2L engine, ~155hp, 2100lbs, 6 spd transmission, relatively basic bolt-on suspension parts, no crazy wings...

???

So the whole "not in my backyard!" issue may be a moot point if someone requested to classify an MX5 in EP.. If they classified the car itself in EP, everything listed on Long's modification list would be legal within EP rules, no?

But OMG- 4-piston OEM Brembos!!!! KICK 'EM OUT!!

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:59 pm 

http://racer.com/2018/05/02/global-mx-5 ... roduction/

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 pm 

Matt, who makes the rules for the MX5 car?

Where can we find the full specs?

Is there a factory manual?

Gee, based on all the things said, maybe the car needs to be reclassified in FP!

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:29 pm 

Cant class the car in FP. I just finished building my car and am still sorting it out. I don't want to build another car yet :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next