prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 1157
Matt93SE wrote:
Racer X wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Global MX-5 Cup cars are also now allowed to run a sequential gearbox.

A quick bit of research on that shows that there is a sequential available for the car, but that does not mean it's legal for competition in MX5 Cup class..
http://www.longroadracing.com./images/L ... cement.pdf

That option is also more than my whole car is worth!


Local guy has one in his Global car that has been setup for STU. Very possibly the only one ever sold. :lol:

_________________
99 HP Toyota Yaris
2005-2008 SCCA Solo National Champion
2017 SCCA Runoffs Champion
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1794
Jason@SportsCar wrote:
disquek wrote:
Letter sent.

I'm tired of Touring dumping their issues in Small Bore Slicks (BSpec).

If you're tired of it too, send a letter. https://crbscca.com

-Kyle


When did B Spec cars get dumped in Small Bore? The Fit, Mini, and Yaris have been in Prod since before BS was born.

He's referring to raceday grouping.. Super Tours (at least around here) Prod/GTL gets to share the track with B-Spec. very low power DOT cars on track at the same time as slick-tired cars with 2x the P/W ratio..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18485

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 1157
Matt93SE wrote:
Jason@SportsCar wrote:
disquek wrote:
Letter sent.

I'm tired of Touring dumping their issues in Small Bore Slicks (BSpec).

If you're tired of it too, send a letter. https://crbscca.com

-Kyle


When did B Spec cars get dumped in Small Bore? The Fit, Mini, and Yaris have been in Prod since before BS was born.

He's referring to raceday grouping.. Super Tours (at least around here) Prod/GTL gets to share the track with B-Spec. very low power DOT cars on track at the same time as slick-tired cars with 2x the P/W ratio..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18485


We have that same combo here. Has nothing to do with the CRB, that is whoever made your schedule.

Its not ideal, but they are a lot easier (for me in an H car) to deal with than T2-T4 which have lots of legs but little corner speed. I find the BS guys expect to get passed and look in the mirrors, the T guys don't expect you to pass them, so they don't always notice that you pulled alongside under braking and are trying to take the corner.

_________________
99 HP Toyota Yaris
2005-2008 SCCA Solo National Champion
2017 SCCA Runoffs Champion
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1794
As the other linked thread mentions, it's a recommendation/philosophy pushed down from those that set the Super Tour and Majors stuff.

The problem is that BS around here often runs nose to tail just like SM or SRF, so when you run into them, you have to pass multiple so you don't jack with their race. I ran into that at Hallett with two laps to go when I came up on 3 of them in a train.. As I couldn't see anyone behind me and knew we were close to done, I backed off a bit to let them race instead of try to charge by all 3 and potentially gather the leader or mess with the race.

So I followed them around at part throttle for most of a lap trying to stay out of their business and about pulled my hair out. They finally gapped each other enough that only a major mistake would change the results, so I picked my way through them.. Had there been someone I was racing, it would have been a non-ideal situation for all.

I realize that's got the potential to happen any time there's multi-class racing, but I'm still a bit stymied why they don't place these guys with ST* and T3/T4.. then again, that brings the mix of T2 and BS, and you can't move T2 out because of the one guy that does T1+T2 double entry.......

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 1157
Matt93SE wrote:
As the other linked thread mentions, it's a recommendation/philosophy pushed down from those that set the Super Tour and Majors stuff.

The problem is that BS around here often runs nose to tail just like SM or SRF, so when you run into them, you have to pass multiple so you don't jack with their race. I ran into that at Hallett with two laps to go when I came up on 3 of them in a train.. As I couldn't see anyone behind me and knew we were close to done, I backed off a bit to let them race instead of try to charge by all 3 and potentially gather the leader or mess with the race.

So I followed them around at part throttle for most of a lap trying to stay out of their business and about pulled my hair out. They finally gapped each other enough that only a major mistake would change the results, so I picked my way through them.. Had there been someone I was racing, it would have been a non-ideal situation for all.

I realize that's got the potential to happen any time there's multi-class racing, but I'm still a bit stymied why they don't place these guys with ST* and T3/T4.. then again, that brings the mix of T2 and BS, and you can't move T2 out because of the one guy that does T1+T2 double entry.......


At least in my area I have seen the attitude towards this practice change... At one time they would have done anything to get that second entry fee, now the double dippers find themselves having to make a choice and split the weekend - one class one day, the other the next.

_________________
99 HP Toyota Yaris
2005-2008 SCCA Solo National Champion
2017 SCCA Runoffs Champion
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:52 pm
Posts: 2150
Location: Topeka, Kansas
I have zero issue with these cars in EP. We're giving the cup cars a place to race in this club and it's good for EP. They run on slicks, only make about 155hp to the wheels weighing about 2400 lbs, stock synchro transmission, etc.

_________________
jesseprathermotorsports.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:08 am
Posts: 1182
Location: Philly
Jesse,
The Global MX5 is already legal in at least two other classes. This isn't "giving them a place to race", it's giving them a THIRD place to race.

They are not a good fit for EP, or small bore. They won't be on slicks or the session will be a waste from a testing/learning perspective. They will be in the way and we have enough of that with the BS cars.

BS cars barely hit 100mph downhill with a tailwind. The good EP cars are nearing 150 at many tracks. GTL/FP is around 130. These are unsafe closing speeds.

We don't need to continue to be Touring's grey water tank.

Plus, I've never ever seen one of these cars at a majors event and they currently have at least two classes they fit into. So we're bitching up EP/Small bore to gain maybe a couple of entries? It's short sighted.

Jason,
I get that the BS cars are not an issue for you/HP. But they are for the rest of Small Bore.

The BS grouping is not a local thing. The grouping from Topeka for all Super Tour events puts BS into Small Bore Slicks (because Preston Calvert wants to run both T1 and T2). The local Majors in NEDIV actually have BS in Small Bore DOT, where it belongs.

-Kyle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 am
Posts: 599
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Jesse, and what happens if Mazda decides to speed up the cars? They maybe dogs in EP now, but....

Make a rule set for them that fits within our existing rules. Allowing another sanctioning body to set prod rules is opening a can of worms that some day may bite you and the others building their cars by the GCR.

And right now, who has the specs for the car? I can't find them on line. I can see alternate brake calipers and rotors in the general description. Where did you find HP. I don't see it mentioned. But, I need not worry about it because it's all allowed.

And that sealed engine, etc thing in other classes has not worked very well. Ask the GT guys.

_________________
Jim Creighton
CARS Tour DoR
SEDiv SARRC Administrator
V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars


Last edited by FP Racer on Fri May 04, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:08 am
Posts: 1182
Location: Philly
A bit of an edit.

They are on "slicks". They run on a spec BFG tire that is not DOT approved. My guess is that it's a hard compound underdeveloped tire that wont hold a candle to our Hoosiers.

So let's be careful with the term "slick".

-Kyle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 1157
disquek wrote:
A bit of an edit.

They are on "slicks". They run on a spec BFG tire that is not DOT approved. My guess is that it's a hard compound underdeveloped tire that wont hold a candle to our Hoosiers.

So let's be careful with the term "slick".

-Kyle


How about lets also be careful to be so quick to judge a car that one seems to know nothing about.

And if BS cars are in the way of small bore I guess HP needs be moved as well, since most of the BS cars are mid-pack with us.

_________________
99 HP Toyota Yaris
2005-2008 SCCA Solo National Champion
2017 SCCA Runoffs Champion
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group