prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: May 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 am 

I waited for what I thought was a more than reasonable time to see if anyone had any comments about another change in this months Fast Track. I thought someone would have something to say about it, but nothing. So, the way I read this, there is a new car in EP with rules written by someone other than SCCA. As far as I can see , this is the only car in production classes that has this. Here is the wording and a release on the change. Interesting that no weight is listed. And as I see it, Mazda or another sanctioning body can change the rules as they see fit.

Production
1. #23937 (Randall Smart) Request to classify the 2016 and later MX-5 in EP
In EP, Global Cup MX-5 (2016-2018), classify as follows:
EP
Prep.
Level
Weight
(lbs.)
Engine Type
Bore x Sroke mm.(in.)
Displ. cc./(ci)
Block Mat’l
Head/PN & Mat’l
Valves
IN & EX mm/(in.)
Carb. No. & Type
Wheelbase mm/(in.)
Track
(F/R) mm/(in.)
Mazda MX-5
(16-18)
4 Cyl. DOHC
(3.29x3.59)
(121.9).
iron
Alum
Fuel injection
(90.9)
(58.9/59.2)
EP
Wheels
(max)
Trans.
Speeds
Brakes Std. (mm/ (in.))
Brakes Alt.: mm/(in.)
Notes:
Mazda MX-5 (16-18)
17 x 7.5
(F) 11.0 vented
(R) 11.0 solid
Car preparation is limited to what is permitted by the MX-5 Global Cup rules and the car must meet all MX-5 Global Cup rules
News Release
SCCA recently approved a rule change that will allow the Global MX-5 Car, in its homologated configuration, to run in E Production. The E Production-eligible move is in addition to Touring 3.

Why E Production with the same configuration? E Production cars run on slicks, as opposed to the DOT-tire requirement for SCCA’s Touring Classes. This gives drivers and car owners an option to run for wins or use SCCA classes as a test bed for future races.

SCCA’s Production Category is built on street car platforms that are allowed a range of performance modifications. E Production is the fastest of the three classes in the category. The class has traditionally been a hotbed for a variety of Mazda products, with the NB and NC Miata, the RX-7, and even an RX-3 regularly found as contenders at the National Championship Runoffs.

Most recently, Jesse Prather put his RX-7 on the podium at Indianapolis, with Matt Reynolds capturing the National Championship in an NB Miata in 2016 (Mid-Ohio) and 2014 (Laguna Seca).

To remain legal in E Production, the car must run in its Global MX-5 Cup configuration.

The change in eligibility is effective immediately, as announced in the May issue of Fastrack News. The current Fastrack can be found at SCCA.com/Fastrack.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am 

Can they run slicks in EP? Seems like they can't if they have to meet all MX5 Global Cup rules.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 am 

I haven’t had a chance to read it

But my take. Why do we want this? How does this help club memebers? Why do we want people “test info in club races, can’t they already do that in a regional

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am 

Notice that this is a "double dip" opportunity for these cars. They are already classes in T3.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am 

Letter sent.

I'm tired of Touring dumping their issues in Small Bore Slicks (BSpec).

If you're tired of it too, send a letter. https://crbscca.com

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 am 

If I'm not mistaken, the Global MX-5 Cup cars are also now allowed to run a sequential gearbox.

#02 EP Z3
Hoosier/Carbotech/TeamJBS

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:53 am 

Racer X wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Global MX-5 Cup cars are also now allowed to run a sequential gearbox.

You are mistaken, it is not allowed in the MX-5 Cup series.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am 

FP Racer wrote:
I waited for what I thought was a more than reasonable time to see if anyone had any comments about another change in this months Fast Track. I thought someone would have something to say about it, but nothing. So, the way I read this, there is a new car in EP with rules written by someone other than SCCA. As far as I can see , this is the only car in production classes that has this. Here is the wording and a release on the change. Interesting that no weight is listed. And as I see it, Mazda or another sanctioning body can change the rules as they see fit.

This may be new to Prod, but certainly not to Club Racing, a number of other categories have allowed/allow cars outside of SCCA trim to be classed as is.

These cars are sealed from tip to tail, even the fluids are spec. I believe this request came out of the Cota Super Tour... In parts of the country where MX-5 Cup races some of these guys want to get on track to test, and a Club Race weekend may be a cost effective way for them to do that. Currently the car is allowed in T3, but when they show up to SCCA events with the series spec BFG slick (non DOT) they are given a hard time. I believe in Cota they were all moved to last in class rather than being given a DQ. I seriously doubt you would see one of these show up at the Runoffs in MX-5 Cup trim, they are well off of the E pace, more like an F car.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:03 am 

Racer X wrote:

A quick bit of research on that shows that there is a sequential available for the car, but that does not mean it's legal for competition in MX5 Cup class..
http://www.longroadracing.com./images/L ... cement.pdf

That option is also more than my whole car is worth!

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am 

disquek wrote:
Letter sent.

I'm tired of Touring dumping their issues in Small Bore Slicks (BSpec).

If you're tired of it too, send a letter. https://crbscca.com

-Kyle

When did B Spec cars get dumped in Small Bore? The Fit, Mini, and Yaris have been in Prod since before BS was born.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next