prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 am 

Likely everyone has read, it's a follow up.

CLUB RACING BOARD MINUTES | March 6, 2018

Recommended Items
The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at http://www.clubracingboard.com.

1. #23751 (Tom Lamb) Request Changes to 9.3.47. TOWING EYES
Change 9.3.47: 9.3.47. TOWING EYES
All cars without an exposed roll bar shall have a towing eye or strap, front and rear that does not protrude beyond the bodywork outline when viewed from above, to be used for flat towing or hauling the vehicle. A removable towing eye carried inside the car is not acceptable, except in formula cars and Sports Racing cars. These towing eyes or straps shall be easily accessible without removal or manipulation of bodywork or other panels. Towing eye minimum ID 2 inches.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 am 

Why a strap with a ring or just a strap? I can see the metal bracket types.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:17 am 

We've all witnessed someone in a white shirt take a rule too literally. We've also been victim to badly written rules, like this one.

A strap or hinged ring that extends through a hole in the bumper cover is visible from above.

I know that it satisfies the intent of the rule. But it does not satisfy the letter of the rule. Rules should be written such that the intent and the letter are the same.

Bear in mind that if the mounting point of the strap is behind the bumper cover, when EV pulls you not perfectly level or straight, the strap will likely damage the bumper cover. EV will pull that strap straight up if you're buried in the gravel or missing a wheel.

The main thing I can think of that this rule helps is bump drafting. Honestly, I've never seen a car that only sustained damage from a tow hook. I've seen wrecks where the cars would have been damaged with or without the tow hook. And yeah, the damage was worse with the tow hook. But 90% of those damaged panels were likely being tossed in the trash anyway regardless of tow hook or not. So I don't see much real world improvement, other than enabling bump drafting. Do we want bump drafting in small bore?

Look under the skin of most cars and you'll find many worse things than a tow hook and they're only under about a 1/32 of an inch of fiberglass.

The solution to this issue is to ask the stewards to consistently take an interest in fairly enforcing the existing contact rules, not making our cars into bumper cars.

-Kyle

Maybe this will solve all issues. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachment:
roll.jpg
roll.jpg [ 172.27 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:07 am 

disquek wrote:
We've all witnessed someone in a white shirt take a rule too literally. We've also been victim to badly written rules, like this one.

A strap or hinged ring that extends through a hole in the bumper cover is visible from above.

I know that it satisfies the intent of the rule. But it does not satisfy the letter of the rule. Rules should be written such that the intent and the letter are the same.

Nailed it.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am 

disquek wrote:

Bear in mind that if the mounting point of the strap is behind the bumper cover, when EV pulls you not perfectly level or straight, the strap will likely damage the bumper cover. EV will pull that strap straight up if you're buried in the gravel or missing a wheel.

The main thing I can think of that this rule helps is bump drafting. Honestly, I've never seen a car that only sustained damage from a tow hook. I've seen wrecks where the cars would have been damaged with or without the tow hook. And yeah, the damage was worse with the tow hook. But 90% of those damaged panels were likely being tossed in the trash anyway regardless of tow hook or not. So I don't see much real world improvement, other than enabling bump drafting. Do we want bump drafting in small bore?

Look under the skin of most cars and you'll find many worse things than a tow hook and they're only under about a 1/32 of an inch of fiberglass.

The solution to this issue is to ask the stewards to consistently take an interest in fairly enforcing the existing contact rules, not making our cars into bumper cars.

-Kyle

Maybe this will solve all issues. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachment:
roll.jpg

You said it way better than I

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 am 

I had a metal one on the Suzuki that was above the bumper and came out the headlight opening.

One year at the Runoffs they were checking "diameter of the tow hook opening" which is 2 inches. When I built mine I only had a 1 3/4" hole saw. They pulled my tech stickers off since their 2" trailer hitch ball wouldn't fit.

That was a long afternoon with a round file, but when I was done it was exactly 2.000".

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm 

Good thing you didn't injure yourself doing all that filing-you would have had to try out your SCCA insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am 

What year did you have your tow eye checked? I've looked back thru my plans and don't see that on any of them.

But, the rule does say 2 inches, not 1 3/4 or about 2 inches, etc. So, easiest, smartest thing would be to take your yard stick and measure the opening.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:32 pm 

Kyle...

This is not about bump drafting in any way... Anyone interested in a little push or giving a little push doesn't have hooks like that...

Put a tow hook out the back of your car if you don't want a push... but don't destroy the back of my car or try to loop me out with your front tow hooks....

Sam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am 

When does this take effect. I all need to tear the whole front apart to change on my car. Planning on being at Topeka on the 21-22

Dave Reiter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next