prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 2018 Prelims
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:34 pm 

a tow hook from the roll cage has worked great for me and many other trans am cars for last 20 years. in sand or grass or hard surface. a single point services both front and rear tow. maybe a shorter wheel base would be different?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:14 pm 

mlewis wrote:
a tow hook from the roll cage has worked great for me and many other trans am cars for last 20 years. in sand or grass or hard surface. a single point services both front and rear tow. maybe a shorter wheel base would be different?

Yes I agree but does that tow hook not extend beyond the bodywork

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:54 pm 

If anybody is bump drafting Michael Lewis and complains about the damage his tow eye has caused, you'd better stop racing that Hummer and get a real race car.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:39 pm 

David understands the towing problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 am 

Big boy car tow hooks usually protrude through the roof. So, if it damages your car, that's going to be the least of your worries.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Big boy car tow hooks usually protrude through the roof. So, if it damages your car, that's going to be the least of your worries.

Yes but the new proposed rule would make that not legal either correct (it will protrude from the body work)

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am 

I think the issue is, " when viewed from above".

Tow eyes coming out of the roof or A-pillars should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
Before anyone decides to be towed from the roll cage, ask Jay Lutz about his tow out of China Beach a bunch of years ago. Hey, it may work on hard surface, in sand or gravel, not so good. Every time I see a roll cage tow I think of Jay's tow.

I have Jay's car now and as a result have a protruding tow hook out the back that is welded to a bash bar that I tied into the rear down tubes and frame. Pulling forward from the roll hoop is OK but I don't have a good turning radius and a short wheelbase...ask Jason Stine how that worked for him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:17 pm 

Eric, when Jay got buried in China Beach @ Mid Ohio he was being pulled by the roll cage at maybe top of door height IIRC, point where tow rope was attached functioned like a fulcrum, the front spoiler rotated down into the gravel. Ruined the front spoiler and then IIRC they hooked up to something down low under the front of the car. Makes sense to me to pull a race car just like a street car is pulled, from down low. No Jason or other silly issues occur when pulling down low. On my current car I have 2 inch I.D. loops welded loosely around the OEM tow loop. On my previous car I had climber loops attached to the OEM tow loops. Whatever, different strokes for different folks. :mrgreen:

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:33 am 

SO I have a race in 3 weeks do I have to replace it now or not? The point on the front of the car where the frame is designed to be pulled from is buried inside the chassie and we had to make a tow hook that was bent to fit outside, a strap will entail cutting through the body and some of the grill work to mount, we already have a soft in the rear. converting to the front will take some tweeking and is going to be a hastle, I like the idea but not in the middle of the season???
And yes if you hit me and your car is messed up boo hoo for you, I have to date never hit anyone and have been tagged in the rear several times, so I sometimes wish I could outfit my car to look like something out of MAD MAX(lots of spikes) But that aside going to a soft system is a good idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next