prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Belts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Guys, I always hope you verify information posted here. Here is what a simple goggle search found concerning SFI belts.

Seat Belt Expiry Dates

Laurie Callender 05/09/2017 General Safety, Seatbelts

Recently SFI changed the labelling on their seat belts to show an expiry date and not a date of manufacture. This brings their labelling in line with FIA approved belts which also have an expiry date. For SFI belts the expiry is 2 years and they do this because of the deterioration of the nylon webbing as noted below.
The rate at which the breaking strength of the webbing decreases with outdoor exposure is illustrated in the graph below. The webbing used in motorsports restraints is typically made with DuPont Nylon 6-6 or a similar product. According to the data, the webbing loses about half of its strength in one year.

Also-posted on champ car site.
https://i0.wp.com/champcar.org/mainweb/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Screen-Shot-2018-02-14-at-12.29.46-PM.png?ssl=1

This actually shows a sample of the new label.

So, as I said, check to see what the belts say before you buy them.

P.S. Some states also mandate a maximum such as New Jersey.

Maybe the SFI guys should update their materials so they don't deteriorate so quickly..
http://aimss.com.au/full-story-competit ... extension/
(credit to James Rogerson, who cross-posted this from another race forum where he found it).

Why don't car manufacturers require replacement of OEM seat belts every 2 or 5 years? what material are they using such that a safety belt can last 20+ years in an OEM application, and can it be made applicable to motorsport application?

...Or is it that the SFI and the manufacturers that use the standard simply want everyone to buy new belts every 2 years and keep them all in business? :whistle:

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 am 

Didn't the SFI rating for belts come from the private aircraft industry? Most planes sit outside in the sun, and of course those belts will deteriorate faster than belts installed in a race car, being stored in your garage.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
Maybe the SFI guys should update their materials so they don't deteriorate so quickly..
http://aimss.com.au/full-story-competit ... extension/
(credit to James Rogerson, who cross-posted this from another race forum where he found it).

Why don't car manufacturers require replacement of OEM seat belts every 2 or 5 years? what material are they using such that a safety belt can last 20+ years in an OEM application, and can it be made applicable to motorsport application?

...Or is it that the SFI and the manufacturers that use the standard simply want everyone to buy new belts every 2 years and keep them all in business? :whistle:

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, where I will not get up on my soap box,,, but screw the SFI.

SFI is a racket plain and simple.

Because the SFI is a racket and almost all the clubs just drop to both knees, bowing their heads, trembling in fear, that if anything goes wrong anywhere anytime if they didnt follow the SFI's silly recommendations they are open to liability suits.

I race with SCCA for many reasons, but a significant one of them is their frequent throwing of the finger to the SFI and saying "sorry common sense will rule our item replacements".

One of the main reasons i do not race with my marque club buddies in BMWCCA Club racing is they genuflect to SFI at a moments notice. Those guys replace basically everything every two years. Window nets, center nets, HANS tethers. Its complete BS.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 am 

I got new G Force 6001 SFI belts for my Spridget and they have the "Valid for 2 years from date of Mfg." on them. My old G Force SFI belts just had "Date of Manufacture". The new belts for the Honda will be FIA ones.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX