prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 am 

Folks,

I'm getting ready to have my car painted. I still have the factory trim pieces on the doors and fenders, but would like to remove them

From the GCR: "Any interior or exterior trim pieces may be removed and the resulting openings may be covered with a solid panel."

What are you guys doing to cover those holes? I have about 10 per side in the doors and fenders...

.. or are you just leaving them open?

Thanks,
--Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 am 

On the firewall and floor holes, I cut small pieces of aluminum sheet and used seam sealer to glue them in place. larger ones got a couple rivets just in case a fire got hot enough to melt the seam sealer. 1/2" or smaller ones I'm not worried about falling out so they didn't get rivets- there's not many of them and I *plan* to be out of the car before they would be enough of a problem to worry about in a fire.

for external body panels, I used small holes from bumper turn signals as brake/intake vents, and have sheet metal patches over headlight holes riveted to the body. the other smaller ones like lock cylinder holes are either open or covered with racer tape. the door handles have been removed and have body color tape from the inside. it's not the prettiest from 3ft, but looks just fine from 10ft. 'good enough for a race car'. if I ever get around to a repaint on the car, I'll cut small metal patches and glue/tack weld them in place and paint over them.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 am 

Bill,
Are you talking about the holes in the fenders and doors on the E36 when you remove the side door ding moulding?

If so I have wondered myself about how I would handle if I ever made my 318Ti into a race car.

I have looked at pics of many E36 club racers and it seems the large majority just take the moldings off and leave the holes.

Some guys have gone through the bodywork of filling them, but I'm thinking the majority just deal with the holes.
Sorry if I have misunderstood what holes you were referring to.

cheers
jimmy p

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 am 

jimmypet wrote:
Bill,
Are you talking about the holes in the fenders and doors on the E36 when you remove the side door ding moulding?

Yep, that's them. There's a "belt line" along the front fender, door, and rear fender. There are three separate trim pieces which snap into holes in all three body parts.

Ha, body parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:23 am 

for similar holes in the hood, I've cut a small quarter size piece of steel sheet and then welded them in place, filling the hole slowly with metal. grind the top down, glaze, then paint over. the outside looked fine. underneath wasn't so pretty.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 pm 

If it's possible to find some high quality vinyl in the same color as your paint, cut little squares and stick it on over the holes. That's what I did on my car to cover those same holes, little squares from removing body side moldings, and they've been on there for like 8 years and are still holding up. You have to get up close to know they're even there.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:49 pm 

Rough up the edges of the holes with a die grinder and sand around the holes to rough it up. Then small foil tape patches from the inside. Fill smooth from the outside with JB weld and sand smooth after it hardens. Paint and forget. Have cars with this method 10 years old with no failure.

Second option is cut small plugs from metal to fit the holes and spot in with tig. Then fill. Got fancy once and tigged them all the way around and spent forever getting it smooth again. Not worth the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 am 

I like the oem look so for the similar belt line trim on my car I have a 2” black vinyl strip covering the wholes and replicating the trim.

On my hood (boy racer “carbon fiber”) I used small squares of “carbon fiber” vinyl to cover the sprayer holes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:02 am 

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'm tempted by the JB Weld idea (who doesn't love that!) but I think I'm going to go with the simplicity of the vinyl strip. The beltline will be black anyway, so it's a no brainer (which is good for me.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm 

Take a cooper pipe and flatten it out about two inches of the end. Hold that to the back side and then fill the hole with welder. Grind and sand smooth. Bigger hole you may need to create a small patch panel.

FP BMW 320i #93