prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:34 am 

The hub rules are a mess. First, there is no reason FWD cars should get "free hubs" while RWD cars only have the "free" allowance on the rears.

Beyond that, I'm not sure that front hubs aren't unrestricted -- or at least the bearing carrier, which in many cases IS the hub on an older RDW car.

I saw this in the LEvel 2 Suspension Prep rules:

D. Macpherson/chapman struts that are a bearing carrier, cannot modify or replace the
bearing carrier under the unrestricted bearing carrier rule in section 9.1.5.E.2.o.5.

That certainly suggests to me by negative implication that if you have a separate hub and Mac strut, you CAN replace the bearing carrier under the unrestricted bearing carrier rule which at least this rule suggests applies to the front suspension as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 pm 

Or I can just order you some Team Dynamics wheels with the 4x114.3 pattern in whatever offset you need for reasonable money. Yes, ultra light three piece wheels will be pricey, but they are that regardless of bolt pattern.

Not sure why you can't change bearings to something larger and hubs to something larger if you wanted. (Not sure many folks would be going lighter, but if they wanted to why bother stopping them?)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm 

Poking my nose back in... "the hub rules are a mess" was sort of my point in asking the question - I wasn't sure how to interpret them and heck, I'm an engineer who's been looking at the prod rules for 15-20 years. Probably should get off my butt and write a letter.

There's definitely other options - wheel spacers to convert would be legal, even running 4x4.5 wouldn't be that big of a deal. The sole reason is that if I'm making (legal, alternate) hubs anyway, it would be nice if I could make them in a configuration that lets me use a selection of wheels I can order with no lead time. Making the hubs one piece seems less silly than making the hubs and then making an extra piece to bolt to the hubs that does the same thing, but I know how rules can be.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 am 

Please write a letter with copy here, along with letter #.
Thanks,MM