It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: December 2017 Prelims
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 am 

are up:

https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm 

11/12/17 Preliminary Tech Bulletin

Production 1. #22535 (SCCA Staff) Clarify ducting air to cool intake manifold In GCR section 9.1.5.E.2.b.7, clarify the last sentence of the paragraph as follows: "Non-stock plating, painting, covering or coating of the intake manifold is prohibited."

Existing Rule:

7. The intake manifold may be port matched on the port mating surface to a depth of no more than one inch. Balance pipes or tubes on all intake manifolds can be plugged or restricted. In all other respects the intake manifold must be stock. Plating, painting or coating of the intake manifold is prohibited.

Does adding the words "Non-stock" and "covering" to the existing rule convey whatever message the CRB is attempting to convey? I believe the CRB is attempting to convey a rule which specifies air SHALL not be directed to cool the intake manifold. For my 2 cents the proposed added words to the existing rule, "Non-stock" and "covering" do not clarify the CRB intent.

Thoughts?

Leave rule as is with the additional words. Directing air to cool intake manifold is prohibited.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

I don't think that was the intent. I think the intent is to make OEM coatings/coverings legal.

David Dewhurst wrote:
11/12/17 Preliminary Tech Bulletin

Production 1. #22535 (SCCA Staff) Clarify ducting air to cool intake manifold In GCR section 9.1.5.E.2.b.7, clarify the last sentence of the paragraph as follows: "Non-stock plating, painting, covering or coating of the intake manifold is prohibited."

Existing Rule:

7. The intake manifold may be port matched on the port mating surface to a depth of no more than one inch. Balance pipes or tubes on all intake manifolds can be plugged or restricted. In all other respects the intake manifold must be stock. Plating, painting or coating of the intake manifold is prohibited.

Does adding the words "Non-stock" and "covering" to the existing rule convey whatever message the CRB is attempting to convey? I believe the CRB is attempting to convey a rule which specifies air SHALL not be directed to cool the intake manifold. For my 2 cents the proposed added words to the existing rule, "Non-stock" and "covering" do not clarify the CRB intent.

Thoughts?

Leave rule as is with the additional words. Directing air to cool intake manifold is prohibited.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm 

I believe that was a response to something at this years Runoffs. Something about a heat shield used on the intake manifold.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 GTL Sunoco Hard Charger
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 am 

How could you prove air was or was not directed to cool the intake manifold? Air moves around the engine bay. Some oem's may have been bright enough to manage airflow in that direction and it may not include direct ducting. Some bright racer may be able to direct air there without ducting. Of course a giant duct pointed an inch away is obvious, but that's not how it's always done. I don't think that's enforceable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:15 am 

I read it the same as Peter.
Where are you guys making the leap to this having anything to do with air management?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am 

Chris, the issue title makes a direct statement, Clarify ducting air to cool intake manifold In GCR section 9.1.5.E.2.b.7.

The comment by Peter was a prod car (the driver even mentioned he had an expensive door stop) and has been previously taken care of in the prod rules. This issue Peter comments on was protested and appealed. The rule was changed after the 2016 Runoffs.

There is no mention in the existing rule of air cooling the intake manifold.

There was a production car this year which obvious to most any eye had ambient air directed to the intake manifold to cool the intake manifold.

I could pull out the, If It Doesn't Say You Can, You Can't. Nowhere is there a rule which specifies you may cool the intake manifold.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am 

David,
Do you consider an Intake Manifold to be one of the "physically attached ancillary component necessary
for power production"?

If not, what items do you consider to be "physically attached ancillary components necessary
for power production"?

FYI - Intake Manifold is not listed under the technical glossary, but it does have a very general definition for "Induction System" where it is defined as "Those engine components directly associated with the creation and conveyance of the combustible mixture, and any functional associated attachments thereto".

Last edited by Greg Gauper on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am 

David, I think you're tilting at windmills that aren't there.

6. Air cleaners, velocity stacks, air supply ducts and cold air boxes are unrestricted.

David Dewhurst wrote:
Chris, the issue title makes a direct statement, Clarify ducting air to cool intake manifold In GCR section 9.1.5.E.2.b.7.

The comment by Peter was a prod car (the driver even mentioned he had an expensive door stop) and has been previously taken care of in the prod rules. This issue Peter comments on was protested and appealed. The rule was changed after the 2016 Runoffs.

There is no mention in the existing rule of air cooling the intake manifold.

There was a production car this year which obvious to most any eye had ambient air directed to the intake manifold to cool the intake manifold.

I could pull out the, If It Doesn't Say You Can, You Can't. Nowhere is there a rule which specifies you may cool the intake manifold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am 

Peter, the windmill that is not tilting is the prod car that this year had ducting of ambient air to the outside of the intake manifold. Think in terms of ducting ambient air to the throttle body except directly around the outside of the intake manifold. Do YOU consider ducting ambient air to the outside and around the intake manifold legal within todays written rules? I suspect pretty sudden a respected tech dude will chime in who knows of said situation. I'm not down wind of this issue.

Greg, EDIT, on second thought, I don't understand what you posted because I don't understand from where your selected your posted words came from. Please cut and paste the origin of your words to this thread. When I look at my Factory Shop Manual it specifically calls the item between the Throttle body and the head intake ports, an intake manifold. My car is the same model as the car which had the ambient air ducted outside the intake manifold to cool the intake manifold.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

Last edited by David Dewhurst on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.