Harland Sharp rockers - spridget

mmacquee

anyone running the 1.347:1 Harland Sharp rockers experiencing breakage, like at just over 7,000 rpm? No valve spring coil bind, and no sticking vlaves. Have broken two on successive weekends, seems to occur when I run it to 7,200 or so. Back to stock rockers for now -

Harland Sharp built the rockers sets on our two 948 motors and does repair work and parts on the other sets. Their rockers take the 948s up to 9,600 rpm and have done so for years. They also make a heavy duty rocker shaft that's really an engine saver. We use Isky 90lb installed springs on one of the wildest cams I've ever seen. The suggestion on valve springs is a good one as you need to continually check them to insure they are not getting weak.

Bob

I ran Harlan Sharp 1.5 rockers for years in GT5 Mini before the demise of the class. Never had a problem. Ran the motor to 8500 rpm.

new valve springs it is, I have lost track of which sets are recent and which not, can always fault my record-keeping. It's a relatively cheap fix - thanks for the tips

mmacquee":2a038c1b said:
new valve springs it is, I have lost track of which sets are recent and which not, can always fault my record-keeping. It's a relatively cheap fix - thanks for the tips
Agree there. if in doubt, throw 'em out. a couple hundred bucks in valve springs is way cheaper than a grenaded engine cause you used something sketchy.

.... You know that's real easy to say online, yet I have a shoebox full of unlabeled brake pads with 20% life left and probably 10 sets of Hoosiers in the garage that should never be used on a race day but can't bring myself to throw away.... :boohoo:

Matt93SE":3220604x said:
mmacquee":3220604x said:
Agree there. if in doubt, throw 'em out. a couple hundred bucks in valve springs is way cheaper than a grenaded engine cause you used something sketchy.

.... You know that's real easy to say online, yet I have a shoebox full of unlabeled brake pads with 20% life left and probably 10 sets of Hoosiers in the garage that should never be used on a race day but can't bring myself to throw away.... :boohoo:

Used race tires make good potato planters.

Back