Custom replacement gears?

Matt Blehm

So my dad bought Joel Scweers' EP 240SX and of course at his first race he had some "user malfunctions" operating his dog box and wound up breaking a few things inside the gearbox.

It's an older G-Force T5-->dog box conversion, and G-Force no longer has parts for it on the shelf. Paul didn't seem inclined to spend a ton of time on it. I think he said a couple gears and a couple dog rings would get it back running, but I didn't have a clear list of parts to replace.

He's looking for the "least pain to repair" at this point- maybe its worth paying for a custom gear or two vs. replacing the whole box with something else? Looking for some ideas. My thought when I talked to dad on the phone was to have him call Jamie Houseman and see if he would be willing to make these parts. Anybody happen to have a stash of parts, or contacts to someone that could help get it back together?

I also use a G Force T5 dog box. They built mine from the ground up. I just had it back to them past winter for a look-see and refresh of whatever it might need. They did not tell me that the parts for it were now unobtanium. I wonder if your dads is the same gear set I have.
That has me worried because when I bought the trans from them one of the selling points was they will always be able to provide service parts for it.
Mine has a straight cut gear set, dog rings and a .90 5th gear.
Does that sound like what your Dad has?

Sorry I'm no help on the custom gears, I bought that trans specifically so I wouldnt ever be in that situation LOL.

Scott Young Enterprises in Denton, Texas might be able to help. He's the former operations manager of the now worthless Taylor Race Engineering. Have a T-4 with Quaife gears that he's kept going for years. He's got a web site.

Bob

jimmypet":1pd4t5r9 said:
I also use a G Force T5 dog box. They built mine from the ground up. I just had it back to them past winter for a look-see and refresh of whatever it might need. They did not tell me that the parts for it were now unobtanium. I wonder if your dads is the same gear set I have.
That has me worried because when I bought the trans from them one of the selling points was they will always be able to provide service parts for it.

Sorry I'm no help on the custom gears, I bought that trans specifically so I wouldnt ever be in that situation LOL.
Jimmy, that's the exact gearing his is. close ratio (2.x first gear?), straight cut, and 0.90 5th gear.
I kinda steered him toward the car for the same reason. I talked to G Force about 10 years ago and they said they were down to the parts on the shelf and wouldn't be making more. Then a year or two ago I heard they made a batch of parts and were keeping them stocked for a while longer since demand had increased. Now... back to the old story. :boohoo:

Thanks for the continues replies, all. I'll forward to Dad and see if he gets any traction.
My first thought was to send him to Houseman, and the short answer was no luck down that road.

Matt93SE":3a68oh2l said:
jimmypet":3a68oh2l said:

Jimmy, that's the exact gearing his is. close ratio (2.x first gear?), straight cut, and 0.90 5th gear.
I kinda steered him toward the car for the same reason. I talked to G Force about 10 years ago and they said they were down to the parts on the shelf and wouldn't be making more. Then a year or two ago I heard they made a batch of parts and were keeping them stocked for a while longer since demand had increased. Now... back to the old story. :boohoo:

Damn, well that is really disappointing news (when they told me this would never happen).
Please post if he has any luck because I'm guessing sometime in the future I'll be in the same boat.
Cheers
Jimmy

Short talk with him earlier today and he said he's converting to synchros. evidently it was only the dog ring part on some of it that was jacked up.

Back