MY LAPS TR2 transponder

harvey

Ok I am looking for your knowledge along with likes and dislikes for the newest transponder that is out. I have a 260 hardwired that has become intermittent and have heard of more and more of them having this issue so I have decided that the newest would be the way to go.

They now offer a hardwired TR2 to GO no subscription one now that has a 2 year warranty. $789

They also offer a subscription based hardwired TR2 unit that has up to a 5 year subscription that comes with it and is renewable at the end which has a life time warranty as long as you keep it under a active subscription. $489.

Has anyone had any issues with these new transponders and if so pease share.

A few thoughs..
1. there are places that can repair them. these are pretty simple devices. if yours is intermittent, it's likely a simple wiring issue with a failing wire.
2. I have a lot more experience with the kart versions since we're at the track 2x a month with 100 different people. There have been several new series transponders that were working fine one day and then just don't read later that day. they are covered under warranty, but that doesn't help the competitor who loses a qualifying time or has to rent a transponder at the track because they don't have a backup. there's also software/firmware that must be kept up to date in them (although I admit I haven't done anything to my kid's since we initially set it up).
3. I've had one of the subscription style X2 versions for my kid for ~3 years now and not a single hiccup. one battery charge lasts 3-4-5 days and you can charge them in a couple hours via USB. in the case of a hard wired one, you don't have to worry about that either.
4. I have a personal issue with what should be a $50 part being turned into a $120/yr revenue stream. I get it from the standpoint of a capitalist economy, but SCCA standardized with AMB and now we are a captive audience with skyrocketing prices on cheap hardware.

+1 on getting your old one repaired. They're actually overbuilt and easy to repair, much to AMB's dismay...they are such simple devices, on part with the old $25 Radio Shack build-a-boards - that do not warrant this level of money. But, as Matt notes, it's not the "technology" we're paying for.

The OGs are still going for strong money; I sold one yesterday for $500, no dickering.

Thanks for the feedback, I may live to regret it but I ordered a new TR2 hardwired with a 5 year subscription. I have gone through the wiring on my existing unit and unless it is internal under the potting everything looks to be good. I did notice that somewhere along the way it has taken a hit from a rock I suppose right on one of the corners of the case.

Ok, rather than saying there are folks repairing these simple devices....how about some names/contact info? Post for good of all!

Went thru a dead hardwire years ago, without success in finding anyone, potting almost assured it would be damaged, but found no one working on those. Had to buy a new one (still being sold then).

Those with batteries, were/perhaps still are, different. Batteries died. Again, "someone" relamps in US, but when found weren't doing them....guy in Australia was still doing batteries, yet shipping/turn around was too great.... did find a U-tube on doing it yourself...which I did, but was just a battery, not component repair.... even locating battery in potting was not that easy with instructions.

So, if you have names/places to do repairs.......PLEASE post those.....don't just say they're simple devices.... my PHD-EE-Head of Dept. buddy wouldn't agree; he gave up, as did his students.

Bob L.

Repair source(s) would be appreciated. I have a hard wired, no subscription one with an unknown internal issue. technical terminology: it don’t work.

Yes please WHO repairs the hardwired units. The one I have got tested at the VIR Super Tour after the first session and showed to have a good signal and worked fine but yet on track it worked sometimes and not others. I even talked to t&S and ran them both powered up for a couple of sessions and the same story. I had the loaner the wrapped to the hardwired one so they were in the same location.

I really don't have enough time or the desire to not have times for a session so I bit the bullet on a new one. I would like to get this one fixed as a backup though

Elva":1xqa5jlo said:
Those with batteries, were/perhaps still are, different. Batteries died. Again, "someone" relamps in US, but when found weren't doing them....guy in Australia was still doing batteries, yet shipping/turn around was too great.... did find a U-tube on doing it yourself...which I did, but was just a battery, not component repair.... even locating battery in potting was not that easy with instructions.

my PHD-EE-Head of Dept. buddy wouldn't agree; he gave up, as did his students.

Bob L.

I had the great displeasure of trying to repair one myself a few years ago.
I had a battery unit that would no longer hold a charge and tried to either (a) re-battery it as its just a simple rechargeable cell in there --or-- (b) convert it to hardwire.
Those old ones are built like literal brick shithouses.
The potting they use is so tough it defied everything I had in my shop to cut it away, melt it away, dissolve it away.
Basically by the time I got down to the board and cell I had essentially destroyed the thing.

Whatever magic technique / solvent / tool the factory uses to remove the potting to service these things is something top secret.
In addition to wrenching on cars for >40 years in the early days of my career I was a touring lighting technician. I trained to do component level repairs on the first wave of moving lights when they came out in the late 80s early 90s. I have had consoles open and repaired them in the field.
I have "alot" of tools and chemicals and that transponder kicked my ass.

I still have it if anyone ever finds "the right guy" to send it out to, to see if it can be made to work again but man do they suck to work on.

Back