Quaif gearbox issues

Jerry Lee Oleson

I have a friend with a Quaif Gearbox based on a T5 I think case. It is a dog box, he uses the clutch all the time because he was told his 225 hp would break it. My 100 hp Spridget box has never broken a gear. Is it the lack of power or something else. Anyone with Quaif experience?

Some of the Quaife boxes are based on the English Ford T9. Most of those boxes were rated for at least 275HP. I have not run the dog version, but the synchro boxes I have run for the last 10 years have been OK. Taylor could probably address your concerns.

The earlier Quaife units were weaker indeed- the Rocket box is built into a ford case and rated to about 300hp, but people would still break them well below that threshold depending on the driving style and vehicle. it's not always the ultimate power that breaks things, but usually the shock loading and driving styles. More power and more grip mean more capability of shocking the driveline.

Their newer stuff is made to handle more power, as most of today's production cars exceed it's capability handily.

Absolutely no clue. I've only heard through talk. I considered one on my Nissan STU car a few years ago and called Taylor Racing. they informed me that with the ultimate power goals of that car, the Quaife would be a weak link and suggest something a bit beefier.

I run a Quaife Rocket box and have had great success with it with little to no maintenance issues. The gears do wear and you have to replace them. I also had a worn input shaft that would cause a clutch disk to lose its spline quickly, but that’s about it. So, a couple gears and a new input shaft over a decade of lots of races.

I can assure you I had to do a lot more maintenance on my dog box that I had in my FP MG midget.

Peter

Peter, what car? Horsepower? Torque? Just surprised the my buddy with a GT3 Nissan 4 cylinder 225HP thinks his Quaif dog ring box will be a weak point and he will have to use the clutch with every shift, my LPHP Sprite with unknown horsepower/ old WeRace gearbox has never broken a gear and I use the clutch to get moving then never again on track.

Jerry Lee Oleson":3noixldz said:
I have a friend with a Quaif Gearbox based on a T5 I think case. It is a dog box, he uses the clutch all the time because he was told his 225 hp would break it. My 100 hp Spridget box has never broken a gear. Is it the lack of power or something else. Anyone with Quaif experience?

Have a Quaif Rocket Box in a T-4 case that's been in our HP Sprite since 1995 and run hard with no problems. It's rated at 300 hp max. If anyone has transmission problems the former Taylor Operations Manager Scott Young opened up his own transmission business after Taylor went down the toilet. Been taking care of us for a couple years for clutch work and parts. Highly recommend him.

Scott young Enterprises
972-737-8047

He has a web site.

Bob

Back