Runoffs misfire

Tucker

Many of you near me in the Mazda paddock heard my story, but thought I learned a bit and would pass it on.

After years of issues with my Electromotive ECU I decided to change. At Jesse's recommendation, I contacted Haltech and bought a Elite 1500 and began the process of rewiring my EP Miata. I could not of finished without the Haltech videos and live support. As I was attempting to get it running, spent hours on the phone with their support often controlling my PC remotely. I was able to get it running/barely and arrange to bring it up to Lexington, KY to finish setting it up on their Dyno. Towed up it with Weber Manning assisting me. Rick Nelson at Haltech took control and after a long day, a starter failure/replacement we were able to get it running, ready to bring it to the Runoffs or so I thought

Practice day Monday, first session ran lousy. dead miss at random times, connected with Rick who adjusted setting on the Mag crank fire sensor, no improvement in the second session, connected with Rick again and hoped for the best in Q1. Ran a little better but still had issues with the Crank Sensor loosing sync. Scheduled my first of 5 hardship laps during the week. After Q1 I borrowed an Hal Effect sensor on Jesse's recommendation from someone in the Mazda paddock (I've orders spares and will be glad to replace but can't remember who Jesse sent me to), connected with Rick and headed to the dyno, same issue and then my TPS died . Over the week, changed from Mag to Hall Effect, Changed the Crank pickup wheel, changed the TPS (not related) change leaking rear tranny seal (Thanks Darron Dilly)and changed to the new Goodyear Radials (they are great). Same misfire though out, ran a hardship lap Saturday afternoon, no changes. Was thinking about loading up when Stacy Wilson came over and listened to the story above. His comment was "must be a wiring issue" and told a story of wiring harness he built with a solder spike that caused a starting problem. I thanked him for the suggesting, knowing I hadn't used any solder but he got me thinking about chasing the wires in my new wiring harness. Turns out both the Mag sensor and Hall Effect sensor use the same Signal Ground that's in a shielded bundle. I couldn't get good continuity in in the bundle so I pulled one of the spare Signal Grounds, crimped a pin on it and plugged it in. It ran, but it would always run at idle. Sent Rick a text and he called me right back (on a Saturday night, unbelievable support) and said that could be the issue.

Signed up for the first Sunday hardship lap, ran like a champ.

Had a fun but yellow filled race, will be having flashbacks every time is see the back of a TR6 (thanks Sam!)

I have to thank Weber for keeping the car ready to go on track, I'm sure I worked him harder then he'd hoped. I can't say enough about the gang at Haltech if you are ever considering a ECU change check them out.

Don Tucker
EP Miata
2021 EP Sunoco Hard Charger!

This reminds me of my two worst Runoffs and both of them involved making major changes to the car right before the Runoffs. I learned my lesson and after the second disaster always ran the car that got me there.

Glad you got it fixed. Otherwise, it would have been a longer winter.

FP Racer":21ilom3w said:
This reminds me of my two worst Runoffs and both of them involved making major changes to the car right before the Runoffs. I learned my lesson and after the second disaster always ran the car that got me there.
Amen.

(Guess what I didn't do this year...guess what kind of week I had...and I know better.)

After my second total disaster, I learned my lesson. Of course there was also the year that I borrowed a 1600 Datsun to qualify in GP at the Road Atlanta Runoffs and rolled a Turner 950 S out of the trailer that had never been started. After a lot of help from the late Joe Stimola, the car ran like it was on a rail. Joe re engineered the entire suspension and refused to accept a penny. Finished 4th.

I asked my driver to change the plugs on the second day , but he foregot and the car was running perfect . WE left it as is for the race. Never change anything but the tires..

Back