VW 1,8 8 Valve Engine Specs

March 79B

Are there any members of the forum that have prepared a " full race" spec 8 valve water cooled VW 1.8 engine? I would like information as to the overall height of an "( uncut/skimmed/milled)" cylinder head, the standard combustion chamber volume of this head. Also need the overall height of the "STOCK" 1.8 VW engine block and a "STOCK" ABA" tall block? Appreciate any information from members or a source for this info on the net. VW forums seem to not have any members with this type of technical information. Would a shop manual such as Cylmer's, Auto Books or the large softbound workshop manual, Haynes,?? provide such information? many thanks for any input or information. Jerry

Jerry, let me see what I can get you as far as numbers. I have a Eurospec head I can get you the milled height. I can also get you the stock JH block height. I looked at my Rebello build sheet, but didn't find any combustion chamber volume numbers.

I have read that the ABA is 16mm taller.

I don't recall the stock head dimension, but I'm sure that information is out there - in the FSM (the Bently publishing one is the one you want) or on the web.

I'll see if I can find notes on full combustion chamber volume of our ITB build 15 years ago as that was OEM pistons, and a good reference point, but the cylinder head side should be around 32cc for 1.8 and 30cc for 2.0 versions originally.

Stock 1.8 block is about 278mm from pan face to deck .
Stock 8v head is about 133.3mm and will measure about 32.4cc.
State your mission?

FWIW, the Bentley manual is generally considered to be the official factory service manual.

If you are short any info feel free to PM me as I have worked with both the 1.6 and 1.8 engines.

Al Seim

Back