Li batteries

Dayle Frame

The other battery thread warranted me starting a new thread on the topic of Li Batteries in race cars.

If you're going to be using a Li battery, please note that a new rule will go into effect on 1/1/22 about requiring a decal to identify that your car has a Li battery powering it. It will need to be placed near the kill switch. This only concerns the 12VDC battery connected to the kill switch.....any other Li batteries that may be onboard to power a camera, data system, radios, etc. are not a part of this rule.

The decals are available now and most regions will have them available for you soon. For 2021, they are voluntary but will be mandatory for 2022. The EVAC (see link below) is finalizing the wording in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2014954-announcing-new-electrified-vehicle-advisory-committee

Dayle

Where is this new rule in the GCR and what does the decal look like. Like to get a jump on having this?

Dayle Frame":2yfmo6cy said:
The other battery thread warranted me starting a new thread on the topic of Li Batteries in race cars.

If you're going to be using a Li battery, please note that a new rule will go into effect on 1/1/22 about requiring a decal to identify that your car has a Li battery powering it. It will need to be placed near the kill switch. This only concerns the 12VDC battery connected to the kill switch.....any other Li batteries that may be onboard to power a camera, data system, radios, etc. are not a part of this rule.

The decals are available now and most regions will have them available for you soon. For 2021, they are voluntary but will be mandatory for 2022. The EVAC (see link below) is finalizing the wording in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2014954-announcing-new-electrified-vehicle-advisory-committee

Dayle

Bob Clark":2t0mqmc7 said:
Where is this new rule in the GCR and what does the decal look like. Like to get a jump on having this?

Dayle Frame":2t0mqmc7 said:

Dayle

Bob,
The language is still being worked out so it’s not in the GCR yet….and it doesn’t take effect until 1/1/22.

Go to SCCA.com online store and you can see what it looks like.

Dayle

Another day, another rule to follow!

I think we should propose a rule that for every new rule created, one must be removed.

Matt93SE":22tckaqf said:

It’s a safety feature for the workers who approach your car……..if its on fire, they need to know if a Li battery is on board. Its a different kind of fire and requires a different response.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":3s0zsa5g said:
Matt93SE":3s0zsa5g said:

It’s a safety feature for the workers who approach your car……..if its on fire, they need to know if a Li battery is on board. Its a different kind of fire and requires a different response.

Dayle
Yes I'm aware of that, and actually agree with this new rule. it was more tongue in cheek comment that every day there's a new rule.

Matt93SE":ztds8iwv said:

I think we should propose a rule that for every new rule created, one must be removed.

The previous BoD had that rule, except it was for every new rule TWO had to be removed.

James -R

Back