Fire Systems

Joe Boruch

I am prepping my TR3 to race again after sitting for 10 years. It has a Lifeline Zero 2000 fire system from 1997, which is no longer serviceable. The Lifeline systems need to be serviced every 2 years. I have an ESS system in my Miata and had one in my S2000. I cannot find anything in the ESS installation manual that says anything about servicing a non SFI system. It provides instructions for tech inspectors to weigh the full cylinder and that if weight is good and the CO2 cylinder is not punctured, then it is good to use. SFI systems must be refilled every 2 years.

GCR says:
9.3.22. FIRE SYSTEM
All cars shall be equipped with an On-Board Fire System except T3, T4, STL, Spec Miata, B-Spec, and
Improved Touring.
A. On-Board Fire System Requirements
It is recommended that all other cars employ onboard fire systems that meet the following requirements:
• Systems certified to SFI specification 17.1 or 17.2, or
• Those listed by the FIA on Technical List No. 16
The following information must be visible of the unit:
• Certification label
• Capacity
• Type of extinguishing agent
• Weight, or volume, of the extinguishing agent
Cars shall meet the following regardless of registration date:
1. The fire system cylinder shall be securely mounted in such a manner that it can be checked during
a technical inspection and may be removed for weighing periodically for compliance to full weight
shown on the cylinder. (Weight is without valve assembly.)
2. Manual or automatic release is allowed. The release mechanism shall be within reach of the driver
when belted in the car.
3. All on-board fire systems shall be identified with a circle “E” decal.
a. In GT and Production cars, two circle “E” decals may be required–one at the release location and the second on the outside bodywork in line with or as near to the release location as possible.
b. In Formula and Sports Racing cars, a circle “E” decal shall be located on the outside bodywork
as near to the release location as possible. 4. There shall be a minimum of two nozzle locations–one in the driver’s compartment and one in
either the engine area or the fuel cell area. The nozzles shall be suitable for the type of extinguishing
agent used.
5. The firing safety pin(s) shall be removed from all on-board fire systems prior to going on track. It is
recommended that a warning tag be attached to the safety pin to remind the driver to remove the
safety pin before entering the racing surface.
6. All fire systems shall be serviced according to manufacturer’s specifications.

This does not mandate an SFI system, since it is only "recommended" and I cannot find anywhere that that says an SFI system is required. When I built my S2000 in 2012, I was told by tech inspector that an SFI system was required, but reading this, that is not the case. Am I missing something?

The LifeLine system is about $400 and needs servicing every 2 years for about $100 and it is not serviceable at the track, should it be discharged. The non-SFI ESS is about $510, but does not look to need any regular service and it can be refilled at the track. Looks like in the long run, the non-SFI ESS system is the best value.

Am I off base with with what I am finding?

TR3Racer":2txwskys said:
I cannot find anything in the ESS installation manual that says anything about servicing a non SFI system.
ESS systems are the soap systems powered by a CO2 canister, yes? As such, there's no weighing or pressure gauges. And if there's no leaks, either in the bottle or the CO2 cartridge, then theorectically there's nothing to regularly check/service.

As I recall, ESS sells service kits, which has the surfactant, a new CO2 canister, and instructions. You mix the surfactant with water in the bottle, and properly mount the new CO2 cartridge. Doesn't hurt to keep a service kit in your trailer in case you discharge it at the track and need to refill it.

You are allowed to service non-SFI systems yourself, and ESS systems are user-serviceable.

I cannot find anywhere that that says an SFI system is required.
This is interesting...and recent a GCR change. The GCR used to indicate that any car registered after 1/1/09 had to use an SFI-certified fire system. Now it just says SFI (or FIA) cert is "recommended".

Allelujiah! This was one of my long-time bitches with the reg, since it required SFI certification based on when the car was logbooked, which makes absolutely no sense. Now anyone can use a non-SFI system, which is fine since the vast majority of the non-SFI fire systems out there are the same g-damned exact thing except for the SFI tithe sticker and the requirement for the manufacturer to service/certify them.

And shall we get into my thoughts and feeling about SFI as an organization? No, we shall not. But rest assured they're not positive.

Bottom line, the GCR no longer requires SFI certification on fire systems. Thank you to whomever did this!

Am I off base with with what I am finding?

Nope, and I love you for finding this.

- GA

I noticed same a few months ago. somehow I thought when I bought my ESS that is was SFI (maybe it was?), but then I popped the bottle accidentally at COTA a couple years ago. parked the car for a while cause I was mad at it, but needed to refill or replace the bottle to sell the car. I noticed the rulebook had been updated to make life better for the non-idiots. So I inspected the guts of the tank (clean and shiny in side, all fittings in good condition), so I replaced the rubber hoses and refilled it at home and didn't look back.

Back