Linc Lite

Racerlinn

I present to you the Linc Lite. What's a Linc Lite? Heck if I know, that's why I'm asking you folks.
Pulled from the new to me HP car, it appears to be a home-brewed combination G meter and shift light. All I know is in my test outing last fall it just randomly flashed lights. As best as we can determine, the series of green lights on the main unit show acceleration (not so much in this car) and braking (those work!). A shift light is also attached, but it was completely random as far as when it would light, if it would light at all.
Appears red/black wires went to ignition power, the red/green were pigtailed to ECU (I have not determined what) and the yellow wire went down behind the instrument cluster and pigtailed to what I can only assume was the stock tech signal (it's just a mess under there).

Anyone know anything about this?

Linc Lite! by Steve Linn, on Flickr

Can you show the other side of the circuit board? It looks like a creation using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, but would need to see the other side...

Steve, did you see Scott's response about that thing in your rrax thread about a month ago?

kruck":3rkriutp said:
Steve, did you see Scott's response about that thing in your rrax thread about a month ago?

Yep, we discussed offline, he had no additional info on it. It's no where on the googles, I'm just curious about it's history and if anyone was familiar. It's not going back in the car. :D

As I suspected, based on the size...

I'm no Arduino expert (I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but you can get the Arduino software pretty easily and download the source code. From there, with a little sleuthing, you can likely figure out what it did. Or, post the source code here and we can all have a gander at the marvel that illuminated LEDs!

Serious - After a bit of Googling I think that "Linc Lite" is a remote controlled ceiling fan and / or light fixture.

Joke - Maybe you can turn the lights or ceiling fan off in Timing and Scoring unless they give you a few positions!

(Jokes aside, I do think that it is a repurposed remote control housing)

Steve,
The LincLight was a prototype built by Lincoln Buell, a former racer and SCCA official in the Buccaneer Region. The idea behind it was video training aid. I had a video camera mounted on the roll cage facing forward.
By watching the video after the race I could see where on the track I lifted off the throttle or hit the brakes. It was somewhat instructional because I hit the brakes a little earlier thanI thoughtI had.
I haven’t talked to Lincoln since I sold that car. You might e able to contact him through the BuccaneerRegion.
Don McDowell

Hey Don, thanks for the background. It's now removed from the car, in a box with all the other spares and extras.

Back