Spectrum of Miata Gearbox Options

Rick Starkweather

I am the happy owner of what was formerly Chuck Udell's then Mark McAllister's (backup) FP Miata. The car currently has a stock Miata gearbox. I am interested in the "collective's" perspectives on potential gearbox upgrades – typical performance enhancements vs. additional costs. For example, close ratio Miata box, Quaife, etc.

The motor will be going to JPM soon for a refresh and I wanted to make a decision on a gearbox upgrade as well.

Rick

Rick,

This is a broad subject, I'd guess first you should determine if you want syncro or dog. There options from both. For synco in the stock case you have Mazda comp and Houseman gear sets (if they are still available), probably the easiest since they use the stock box and bolt right up plus you might find used boxes, I know of a Houseman if you are interested. You can also get a syncro box from Quaife but requires a modified bell housing and shifter.

For Dogs, you have the PBS and now the updated EMCO. Both required a Miata bell housing to be cut and welded along with a replacement of the power bar. You can find many PBS already set up and pretty cheap, the gear sets are getting hard to locate and do not interchange with the EMCO. If you decide on the EMCO, then Jesse can help you with the bell housing fab, that's what I'm running with a PBS as a backup.

There's other dog options as well, I've seen Hewland, Quaife as well as Elite (I think Brake runs this) but all take a lot of bell housing, shifter, and power bar replacement fab.

If you are looking for a good starting point, I'd suggest looking for a PBS already set up for Miata and if you decide to upgrade to an EMCO it's a direct swap.

Don

EP Miata

Depending on your willingness to go top flight or if you are just having a good time the 99 to 05 Miata 6 speed has a very good set of ratios. 3.76, 2.27,
1.65, 1.26,
1.00, 0.84 They are actually nearly identical to the older Mazda race box ratios. The 04/05 Mazdaspeed Miata has gears that are remmed or shot peened or some other treatment. Cheap alternative. Just remove the 6th gear and it is legal. Or lose 1st and have a pretty fair close ratio set.

The Barrington box is basically a set of formula Atlantic dog ring gears in a modified Miata case. Bolts right in, in place of the stock transmission and uses the stock shifter. We have been using this in our FP car for 8 years now and are very pleased with the performance and service from Ron.
If interested I can get you his contact info.

^^^^
I'm sorta new to a Barrington dog ring box but so far everything Charlie just said is nuts on.

Ron Olsen the owner/founder couldn't be more helpful and cooperative.

What is really nice about this box is that it's plug and play (uses OEM Miata case).....no cutting, welding, grinding or special parts to get it installed and working.

I just need some more seat time with it in order to get really comfortable....the gearshift pattern is just a bit awkward at first.

tom B.

I used a Barrington box for last few years I had my Miata. I had very little issue with it but I know that some others experienced issues.
Ron was always helpful and a good person to work with.

I had a PBS for a bit but never installed it and then sold it.

Question: all these transmissions listed are these generic type applications that are separate of a bell housing or do they have integrated bell housings specific to Miata/Mazda?

Reason for asking I currently run a GForce built road race dog ring T5 behind my BMW 4cylinder.
It’s been good and reliable but I’m always on the search for other options.
The dog ring gear sets that GForce offers have no options as to gearing other than 5th gear.
Something that has gearing options would be good to look at (that’s not huge or crazy heavy).
I assume anything Miata prod racers would be considering might work behind my BMW 4cyl.

The ones we are using From Barrington in Miatas are built out of a stock Miata box, but I would think that Ron could come up with a BMW boltup if they won't work. Give Ron a call.

Rick,

My brother-in-law Weber Manning has this trani. it was freshened up last year with with zero hours on the rebuild. He's interested in selling, his email is weberwmanning(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Don Tucker
EP Miata

I know most serious racers go straight cut gear boxs at some point because they can be faster shifting. I however always ended up fighting with them and never got good at matching rev. I have had 4 different miata racecars running EP,GTL, GT3 and STL. The very best gear box I had was one Jesse Prather built for me. It was a stock box with Quaffe gears. It was a work of art and shifts were fast and sure.. Klick Klick and away you go. If I ever build another Miata thats the way I am going.

Jim S

Back