Drive shaft clearance in the tunnel?

Protech Racing

The rules say that the wheel tubs can be enlarged /replaced for tire clearance. I see some small RWD cars with the tunnel raised for drive shaft clearance. Does this fall under that same section ? My little tiny stock differential hits my floor and I would like to lower the car another couple of inches. Can I massage the floor area with flame and hammer?
This car is allowed to fit a larger diff. Can I make room for it with new panels?
Thanks,MM

Level 1 and 2:
"For rear wheel drive cars, the transmission tunnel and tunnel cover can be altered to allow the installation of an alternate transmission and/or driveshaft. For front wheel drive cars, the body, unibody, frame, suspension crossmembers/subframes and their components may be altered to the extent required to allow the installation of an alternate transmission, transaxle and/or driveshaft."

Nothing regarding differentials.

Does that make the LBC legal? The LBC cars that are dragging the rocker panels have moved the diff and drive shaft panels up about 4in. I would just like to do the same . Solid axle cars bottom that stuff real easy .

"ride height is unrestricted"
The rear diff on my car made it's own clearance when I drove some humpy tracks after the rear bump stops exploded.
Haven't bottomed since.

Protech Racing":d45pner8 said:
Does that make the LBC legal? The LBC cars that are dragging the rocker panels have moved the diff and drive shaft panels up about 4in... .
Mike - I don't know of any LBC's that have had to do this. I certainly didn't.

Ron Bartell":12qo9fsg said:

Nor do I. The dozen or so LBCs that I've worked on in my time have not done that either.

Stiner0931":17vszye1 said:
Ron Bartell":17vszye1 said:

Nor do I. The dozen or so LBCs that I've worked on in my time have not done that either.

I think the spitfire moves the rear diff for axle clearance? That counts as a LBC..

As the Spitfire uses the diff. as part of it's swing axle suspension....If moved, perhaps moving falls under relocation of pickup points?

Okie

Mike... If we ever get back to Sebring take a look at our blue car. Got some areas underneath less than 2 inches off the ground and plenty of room for a sizable exhaust pipe and the driveshaft in the tunnel. No modifications to the tunnel. Was always under the assumption, based on the GCR, that you could modify areas for suspension and driveline clearances.

Bob

Rubbing rocker panels? No min. ground clearance?

I recall getting checked at Memphis years ago on ride height. Something like 3 or 4" min. at the time...they had a block to check around car....believe it had to do with low fuel cells, but they checked all corners. Of course, that check was static, maybe the rockers could rub, but doubt it..

Has something changed, seems folks are saying no spec on height, now?

Without hardcopy GCRs, I no longer keep up with change.....just an old: dyno sore....

Bob L.

Just looked and GCR specifically states no ride height restriction for either L1 or L2 Prod. I don't ever remember such a restriction dating back to the 1970s.

I think IT has such a restriction, or at least used to.

Was fuel cell clearance...

Looks like you're correct on no min. ride ht....maybe to cover exhaust and swaybars? However, '09 GCR said cell had to have min. 6" ground clearance if not enclosed in OEM bodywork...or floor pan.

Guess their block was 6"? They still checked my rockers with whatever they had...can't believe I was 6" high, as jack was always an issue.......but... could memory be failing too?

So, rub those rockers, if you must! (ideas for skirts on Sprites?)

Bob L.

Didn't there also used to be a rule that no part of the car, except the exhaust, could be lower than the lowest part of the rim?

ennored":2hc6asl7 said:
Didn't there also used to be a rule that no part of the car, except the exhaust, could be lower than the lowest part of the rim?
There is in Improved Touring. But IT also carries a 5" ride height requirement.

Back