Dual HS4s on a hybrid 1/2 prep triumph 1500 Spitfire

Neil Verity

OK... can someone confirm my thinking......

Level 1/2 hybrid prep car... level 2 driveline prep..

on the spec line it says...."Carburetion".... no other details given... I read this as no fuel injection...

on the next spec line it says...1500- alternate intake manifold- Pierce #J15-1952 allowed. I assume so you can run a down draft WGV weber or alternative as mentioned under level 2 prep rules

From level 2 prep rules ...The number of carburetors must not be changed from stock, unless otherwise specified by the vehicles spec line. Also would require a different manifold found on EU spitfires. No specification on spec line

Since US 1500 spitfires only came with a single stromberg,,, I therefore can not use dual HS4s.... unless there is some loop hole somewhere (back-dating, EU cars (had dual HS4s), 1500 motor in midgets?)

Thus... buy a Weber, a Pierce manifold and enjoy it... Correct? Am I missing anything?

Neil

#83 HP MGB

"Back in the day" the 1500 Spitfires ran the single sidedraft 1.5" Stromberg and made competitive power with the 1296 dual SUs.

I have no idea whether the downdraft Pierce setup is better or worse than the single sidedraft factory setup, but agree that the 1500 cannot run the dual HS4s.

I'm about 90% certain that Steve's 1500 Spitfire(s) always had just the single SU on it. Reach out to him and ask.

Back