prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Brake Pad Question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:14 am 

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Responding to the various posts:

- Our pads also showed rust, even though the car is always inside except on race weekends.
I don't know how you could avoid this with the high humidity in an unheated garage. The pad
surfaces had actually cratered in the centers, seemed to be worse on the outboard side.
- We've never had excessive rotor wear, but only put a few weekends on the car each year and
not at heavy braking tracks.
- Good news is that we sent pictures and a receipt to Hawk and they are sending us a new set of pads!
Only asked for an opinion on the issue, but they were refreshingly friendly to deal with and made the unsolicited offer.

James

Post subject: Re: Brake Pad Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 am 

Hawk has been great on sending more pads when you bring up issues. however, I suspect this wasn't a "defective pad" issue and is something else.

I wonder if the high humidity storage is causing the pads to soak up moisture, and then outgas and 'explode' the pads... Ever put a blowtorch on the concrete after a recent rain? the surface pops and cracks and explodes as the water boils off and expands with nowhere to go.
I wonder about baking your pads in an oven overnight before a race weekend? (hahaha, but only slightly!) Welders keep their welding rods in an oven to keep them dry to reduce weld porosity, and I suspect brake pads may benefit from same.

STU Scion FR-S