prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 am 

I installed a Dometic 15k a couple summers ago. Best trailer improvement ever.

RV Parts Country I think?

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/DometicA ... oners.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:50 am 

Greg Amy wrote:
I installed a Dometic 15k a couple summers ago. Best trailer improvement ever.

RV Parts Country I think?

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/DometicA ... oners.html

I installed the same one from the same place and have loved it so far. They were at the time best price I could find, I installed the heater element as well for the $50? it seemed like a no brainer.

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:42 am 

:thumbs-up:

Another thing you can do is paint your roof with Henry 587 or similar. I used it on mine and it dropped the temps on the metal lateral braces inside by 15-20 degrees:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZJ74WU

I also have a large thermal curtain roughly halfway back of the 28-footer to reduce the amount of area that the A/C has to manage. I leave the tail cracked so heat back there escapes out. If you're in the shade (or at night) then there's no problem cooling the whole space.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:23 am 

Greg Amy wrote:
:thumbs-up:

Another thing you can do is paint your roof with Henry 587 or similar. I used it on mine and it dropped the temps on the metal lateral braces inside by 15-20 degrees:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZJ74WU

I also have a large thermal curtain roughly halfway back of the 28-footer to reduce the amount of area that the A/C has to manage. I leave the tail cracked so heat back there escapes out. If you're in the shade (or at night) then there's no problem cooling the whole space.

Does your trailer have ceiling and/or wall insulation?

And was the roof white prior to the magic paint?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am 

Al Seim wrote:
Does your trailer have ceiling and/or wall insulation?

And was the roof white prior to the magic paint?

"No" to both counts. And the contact between exterior roof sheet, laterals, and interior metal strip is all direct metal, no kind of cardboard or similar conduction insulation; the sunlight heat was a-'passin' right through. It was a bare-bones utility-type trailer.

I later added wall and ceiling foam insulation on the front half of the trailer (in front of the curtain area).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 am 

We put insulation in roof but not sides, then finished inside , wished I had insulated walls also, took the roof panels off and will need bracing, is there a kit or a utube video to show how to reinforce the roof, I figure all the vibration on the road will shake it a lot. I like the idea of painting the roof the trailer is an 04 and the roof looks rough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:55 am 

mlangley wrote:
We put insulation in roof but not sides, then finished inside , wished I had insulated walls also, took the roof panels off and will need bracing, is there a kit or a utube video to show how to reinforce the roof, I figure all the vibration on the road will shake it a lot. I like the idea of painting the roof the trailer is an 04 and the roof looks rough.

No help on the roof bracing, but look at some of the mastic roof repair kits out there for coating the roof. mine has started to leak in a few spots due to old age and low spots on the 'tin' causing rust holes. they have a bunch of paint-on solutions on amazon and other places that will seal any tiny holes and provide a thermal + UV barrier so it'll provide some heat rejection in addition to sealing the holes.

If you're going to get an A/C unit and do other roof work, I suggest doing that stuff first and then coat it afterward.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm 

Looks like bracing is the hitch it will need a lot I could grab one of the factory roof braces and shake it and lots of flex, looked on YOU tube and did not see a lot of how to for a trailer. with the flat roofs look easy but trying to follow the curved one will be a challenge. Wiring was a snap and I found a Dometric 15000 with control base for about 940 with free shipping, RV parts charging shipping so will be more.. I could not find any prefab bracing kits, so next week I will see how much to have someone build some and install??