prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 pm 

The guys at AIM (great folks, this is the 3rd time they've come found me at a race) were helping me AIM Solo 2 DL and pointed out that voltage data on both the Electromotive ECU and the Solo 2 were noisier then he'd expect. He suggested I run an alternator, guess that would probably have a built in voltage regulator but have never had any issues as long as I keep the battery charged.

Thought I'd ask the gurus....

Any suggestions on regulators with total loss systems.
Any recommendations on alternator setups for a Miata?
Has anyone set up a drive shaft alternator on a Miata?

Thanks,

Don
EP Miata

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 pm 

Drive shaft alt is not Prod legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:43 pm 

Paul - I remember a while back someone talking about a constant voltage system - maybe Kevin R? Give him a shout.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:03 pm 

That's weird - battery-sourced power would typically be much LESS noisy that alternator-sourced power.

I wonder if they just meant that the voltage was dropping over the course of the race?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:09 pm 

Okay - I'm a mechanical engineer but just read an electrical theory book: I also think that battery-sourced power would be somehow smoother/cleaner than alternator+diodes output. Isn't this how our computer UPS works to smooth-over AC glitches? But maybe the wires are too small to some of his loads so that, for example, the pulses of the fuel pump or flashing brake lights result in a voltage drop at the data computer? Maybe having a separate wire to the data system right from the battery (ok- from the master switch output) and a separate ground back to the battery would help. I seem to recall that Electromotive was very firm on this point... Or, it could be that some spark-plug wires are running close to the 12 VDC wires and they are picking up some pulses due to induction. This is partly why points-fired ignitions had a capacitor ("condenser") at the distributor and many spark plugs and wires had some known amount of resistance to reduce electrical noise to car radios.
Check that the DC wires don't run near or parallel to spark plug wires. Joel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 pm 

Tucker wrote:
The guys at AIM (great folks, this is the 3rd time they've come found me at a race) were helping me AIM Solo 2 DL and pointed out that voltage data on both the Electromotive ECU and the Solo 2 were noisier then he'd expect. He suggested I run an alternator, guess that would probably have a built in voltage regulator but have never had any issues as long as I keep the battery charged.

Thought I'd ask the gurus....

Any suggestions on regulators with total loss systems.
Any recommendations on alternator setups for a Miata?
Has anyone set up a drive shaft alternator on a Miata?

Thanks,

Don
EP Miata

Take a look at this, I have been running this

https://raceenergyperformance.com/colle ... cts/tdc-30

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 pm 

^
This is what I run (and Kevin as well)
Works great. Just make sure you have a good charger, and a way to verify the health of the battery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm 

Noisy power issues in total loss systems are almost always related to ignition / coils and or grounding. I've seen it with formula vees, as well as sometimes formula fords. Normally the data systems can deal with the noise, but if it's problematic then a power supply filter can be used.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:29 pm 

We log voltage that the ECU sees.

It is dead solid at the target voltage, unless the battery gets below 10v like mine did on Saturday due to a charger issue, and a worn battery
(*hence the recommendation for a good charger and a way to test battery health).

However we were also cautious to run power and ground feeds to the coils on a separate path away from sensors and other wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 am 

The main thing here being that voltage stabilization (keeping voltage steady over the medium to long term) and noise (keeping short or ultra short duration pulses out of the system) are two separate things.

If the issue is really noise (as the term is typically used) then David Ferguson's answer contains the solution. Alternator probably won't help.

If the issue is voltage dropping as the battery discharges, then an alternator or a solid state voltage regulator will of course help.

Al Seim