prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: crx coilovers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm 

does anybody have any input on what brand coilovers work best on 90 crx for the money? looking at the skunk 2 pro c as first option but would like some input first. don't want to spend a fortune. I am running fprod a currently running the ground control setup but want something with separate adjustable ride height and preload.

Post subject: Re: crx coilovers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm 

Preload doesn’t do anything. Just buy different rate springs if you want to adjust the handling. If you don’t want the springs loose when you lift the car tenders can be added to your GC setup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm 

None of the off the shelf "shiney" shocks are good race shocks. The coil overs are all halfway decent from a design stand point, but the valving in the shocks sucks. The Koni Race Yellows are garbage for a Prod and better car. They may be OK for an entry level IT guy or HPDE guy, but otherwise you will need to spend real money to get quality shocks. I have been using Bilstein for several years as I can revalve them and create the feel I want. In the past Neuspeed sold some REALLY nice Bilstein coil overs for the CRX and Integras. I have a set. They had nice zinc plated threaded bodies, etc. I built my own top hats and adapted the spring rates I wanted to run. Then revalved them and they are top of the line. I'm probably going to transfer them over to my endurance car and build some new aluminum body parts for my EP Integra.

As Ian stated, there is little reason to have Preload adjustable from ride height. With the proper spring rates you won't have any issues. Don't put 800/1000s on the car and don't follow the "traditional internet setup" It will make the car all but impossible to drive. I dyno'd the Skank2 shocks on a Civic and they were just street car shocks not race shocks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 am 

I really only mention prepload because with gc set up there is real no separate ride height adjustment. Ride height is pretty much determined on length of the shock. Im trying to address bump steer and roll center issues that is why I want separate adjustment. I was using gc set up for IT and hp now its time to get serious. Im planning on using inverted tie rod ends and extended lower ball joint as soon as I can mock it up. (feel free to comment is you have already done this as I have not). current setup GC koni race shock with shortend shaft. 450/650 spring rates. my 90 ef hatchback loved this set up at 2000 lbs with the bias tires but I have raced serious since 2011. I know a lot of changes have been made to tire construction bias and radial. set up did not like the radials but I was not totally committed with camber and did not change spring rates. im resetting and basicly starting over and would like the the shorted learning curve possible, hey any help I can get is greatly appreciated appreciated. Terry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:49 am 

Check with these guys. http://www.whitener-racing.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:03 am 

Is Lee Grimes still hanging around? Koni likely does have great options for you.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:25 pm 

terry boylan wrote:
I really only mention prepload because with gc set up there is real no separate ride height adjustment. Ride height is pretty much determined on length of the shock. Im trying to address bump steer and roll center issues that is why I want separate adjustment. I was using gc set up for IT and hp now its time to get serious. Im planning on using inverted tie rod ends and extended lower ball joint as soon as I can mock it up. (feel free to comment is you have already done this as I have not). current setup GC koni race shock with shortend shaft. 450/650 spring rates. my 90 ef hatchback loved this set up at 2000 lbs with the bias tires but I have raced serious since 2011. I know a lot of changes have been made to tire construction bias and radial. set up did not like the radials but I was not totally committed with camber and did not change spring rates. im resetting and basicly starting over and would like the the shorted learning curve possible, hey any help I can get is greatly appreciated appreciated. Terry

Most race coil over setups have no adjustment beyond raising or lowering the coil spring perch. There really isn't a huge benefit. You could in theory use a short shock and mount a jack bolt at the top of the shock tower, but again adds unnecessary complication.

How low do you intend to run the car? Inverted tie rod is wrong. That is too much movement for normal FP ride heights. Now if you are going to 4-4.5in to the rocker that would be different. Not a big fan of the extended lower ball joint unless you are going to do something about the upper ball joint. I know Honed has done some, but they forgot to include the upper ball joint. You screw with the suspension geometry by just doing the lower ball joint. The Instant centers come way inboard and and become pretty short. You gotta move both upper and lower if you are doing it right. On a dual a-arm car, ride height, roll center location, etc are all inter dependent. Ride height is determined by the amount of spring force and where that spring sits on the shock. You can change ride height by moving that spring perch up and down, but it still needs 700lbs to hold that front corner up off the ground.

Koni shocks are no user rebuildable, they have two maybe three "certified" rebuild centers around the country, who can't refill the oil and nitrogen mix inside a Koni properly. They just send them out without any gas pressure. Yay Koni emulsion shocks. No thanks.

The Whitener Link is a solid source for Bilsteins that are valved for your car. David has worked hard and tested a ton of setups with modern shocks in the modern era. The Koni's you have were developed at best 20-25 years ago. Maybe even longer.

What size wheel and tire are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:45 pm 

I thought I would want tierod bj bellow until I laid it out. I run about 4”-5” at the rocker on 13’s. Honded makes a kit. This one I made myself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdoDZlrFD39/?igshid=fzyke90js4i7

I’m not sure if honded makes an extended bj kit for the usdm knuckle. I got a J’s kit from healtoe. Agree with Bret on the upper impact on the instant center except I couldn’t come up location that would physically fit without plunging the rc back subterranean.

As long as your damper is mid travel and doesn’t bottom/top out with your ride height then the perch adjustment is a fine way to get ride height. If the damper doesn’t meet those, it’s because the damper is the wrong length.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:22 pm 

Gotta think it through some more and READ the rules closely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:23 am 

using 13x7 wheels except for Daytona I use a 14. ride height 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 measure at rocker panel/lift point.