prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Fuel Sample Ports
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm 

Using the same unit. Got it mounted on the left inner fender well toward the outside with a 12" rubber hose. It's tied into the "T" that feeds the two carbs and holds a fuel pressure gauge. Got a picture if you want to send your e-mail address. Still can't get pictures to work on this site so gave up on that.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm 

Dayle Frame wrote:
While convenient, having the port in the engine bay (where it’s hot after a session) is an incident waiting to happen.

Maybe, but many cars out there right now driving around the streets have the fuel sample port in the engine bay.

For me, the alternative would be in the cockpit; I don't have a fuel cell or any bulkheads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:23 pm 

Think maybe carbs would cause an incident first. FI no problem. Our system is protected by the air box and the fender well has fresh air going across it. On a street car, build a heat shield for it if it's a problem. Everything in the engine compartment is hot. Don't see where the fuel sample port makes any difference.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:33 pm 

blamkin86 wrote:
Dayle Frame wrote:
While convenient, having the port in the engine bay (where it’s hot after a session) is an incident waiting to happen.

Maybe, but many cars out there right now driving around the streets have the fuel sample port in the engine bay.

For me, the alternative would be in the cockpit; I don't have a fuel cell or any bulkheads.

WRT street cars I think you are referring to the Schrader valve pressure test port on many fuel rails? Assuming so - all that I have seen have a screw cap, which itself seals and maybe more importantly provides significant protection against accidental / foreign object activation of the valve. If I understand that Pegasus valve correctly it would be VERY easy for a hand, tool, foreign object or crash flotsam to open the valve unintentionally.

FWIW the test port in my VW is in the engine bay, but at least it takes a wrench (one hopes!) to open it.

And none of this addresses Dayle's main point which is the proximity of the port to "hot stuff" after a session. I think that if I'm ever asked for a sample when hot I should reply "sure, in 15 minutes".

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm 

My VW port is in the trunk. FWIW, at one of the majors where fuel was checked I asked about time frame and was told there was no time limit for the test. So , if you have the port under the hood, wait until it cools and have the hand held close .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 pm 

I also have the pegasus valve. Its actually pretty hard to open. Its not getting bumped open and isnt any more susceptible to crash damage than the fuel hose. Use a long sample hose to get the fuel outside of the bay during sampling. Tee the valve in where its out of the way, mine is supported on the shock tower clipped into an unused wiring clip point, and put the valve on the return if your system has one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 pm 

Rick Starkweather wrote:
What are people running for fuel sampling? I have a male/female "dry break" style fitting that I bought several years ago from somewhere for the MGB (but never installed). However, the Miata has the following:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=3447

This seems WAY simpler. Thoughts?

Rick

I have this on my car. I put a zip tie over the spring between the two flanges so it cannot compress.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm 

Got to reply to "have it in the cockpit". We run a solid aeroquip line through the cockpit but don't have any splices in it until it's in the engine compartment, where the sample port, fuel pressure gauge and carbs are.I can't believe anyone would put a fuel sample port in a cockpit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 am 

Bob Hess wrote:
Got to reply to "have it in the cockpit". We run a solid aeroquip line through the cockpit but don't have any splices in it until it's in the engine compartment, where the sample port, fuel pressure gauge and carbs are.I can't believe anyone would put a fuel sample port in a cockpit.

I can't either - is that directed at me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:29 pm 

blamkin86 wrote:
Dayle Frame wrote:

I guess so. Did I misread it or not get the real meaning...?

Bob