prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EFI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am 

Looking for a good source of information for converting standard carb system to fuel injection. Have intake and throttle bodies (2) and am using Electromotive crankfire ignition setup.
THANKS,
Rod Hahnemann

Post subject: Re: EFI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm 

This book is great for concepts: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/per ... -hp-books/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 pm 

The youtube channel howefiworks has a lot of good content to help understand and perform critical install/setup items - relevant to most efi systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm 

Oh Lawdy, has hell frozen over?

Most modern efi boxes will take care of spark as well - but also can run spark totally separate.

The EFI box will need the following inputs (maybe not all of them):

You'll need to up the fuel pressure & add a regulator. EFI will need to know crank position (you have that), throttle position, coolant temp, air temp, and wideband O2.

Sounds like fun!

KJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm 

For street you should use the Microsquirt and with the TPS and temp inputs,( along with wide band and map.) Runs nice and starts well with temp mixture and timing curve .

For strictly race use you can simply use the Map sensor and wide band . FWIW you can trim the ignition well with the Micro. and the fuel map .
Ya just need a good crank trigger. No TPS,NO temp sensors. Works fine . The default temp reading is 180*.

I also trim the race cam idle with the timing map . IE 38 degrees under my target idle speed of about 1600. 22* at my target idle . Runs nicely .

The simplest race 4cyl system template that I use now is ; Ford 36 T crank wheel with Nissan or Focus VR trigger. Feeds a VW 4 post waste spark smart coil. I use a 1K pull up resister in the VR lines to soften the upper end voltage .
GM map sensor
AEM wideband controller
Mustang 23# injectors
Fuel pressure around 60PSI.

For the ITBs you may have to use a RPM/TPS fuel map ,(AlphaN). as the map wont read enough change. The Birkens I have done use the AlphaN . The Map is only for overall correction for air density.The temps sensors also come into play here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 am 

THANKS ALL for the info.
We are building a car for Bonneville in 2021 and rules there are a bit different from Production cars!

Kendall, check your PM

Regards,
Rod Hahnemann
SPRIDGETECH, INC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 am 

I run ITBs, and, as Mike said, use throttle position as your load axis (TPS vs RPM) for your fuel map. I personally use MAP/RPM for the ignition curve, however, since manifold pressure is a better indicator of load, since it's a road-racer. For Bonneville, you'll be WOT over 99% of the time, so MAP and coolant/air temps will be needed for density, and your ignition curve will only need to be a function of RPM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 am 

No rules?? In my research, I found that the old Lucas and bosch injected cars made more power with the nozzles spraying down the inlet tubes . Look around and you may see some examples of injectors mounted on brackets out side of the velocity stacks and simply aimed at the inlet track .
Some thing about atomization and charge cooling .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 am 

Once again - Mike nailed it. Since idle and part throttle performance aren't really important in your application, mount your injectors as far up as you can. Above the throttle body air horns if you can. Makes a substantial difference due to charge air cooling. Look at late model sport-bikes as an example. Many of these use two sets of injectors - one set below the butterflies for part throttle and idle, and a second set mounted in the airbox on top of the air horns for max power at WOT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:00 am 

Kendall Jones wrote:
Oh Lawdy, has hell frozen over?

Most modern efi boxes will take care of spark as well - but also can run spark totally separate.

The EFI box will need the following inputs (maybe not all of them):

You'll need to up the fuel pressure & add a regulator. EFI will need to know crank position (you have that), throttle position, coolant temp, air temp, and wideband O2.

Sounds like fun!

KJ