prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 am 

Latest GCR (October) shows the following...

9.3.27. FUEL, OIL, AND WATER LINES
All fuel, oil, and water lines, including gauge and vent lines, that pass into or through the driver/passenger
compartment, shall be of steel tube or metal braided hoses protected by a wall–like bulkhead container (Cool
suit lines are exempt). The driver shall not be exposed to header tanks. Heat shielding between fuel/oil lines
and fuel/oil filters and exhaust components is strongly recommended.

Used to say (in June):

9.3.27. FUEL, OIL, AND WATER LINES
All fuel, oil, and water lines, including gauge and vent lines, that pass into or through the driver/passenger
compartment, shall be of steel tube or metal braided hoses or bulkheaded (Cool suit lines are exempt). The
driver shall not be exposed to header tanks. Heat shielding between fuel/oil lines and fuel/oil filters and
exhaust components is strongly recommended.

What are people doing to address this? I have my brake and braided fuel lines running from the rear of the passenger compartment (passing through the rear bulkhead) up to and through the firewall. Do I now need to enclose these somehow?

Rick

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:05 am 

It is extremely likely - almost certain - that this is simply a typo, introduced when that was changed.

[s]Submit a letter to the CRB to have it corrected ASAP. Or tell me you're not, and I will.[/s] Disregard, letter #27580 submitted.

http:\\crbscca.com

Last edited by Greg Amy on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 am 

Thanks, Greg! I suspect you are correct – just missing the "or" in the new language.

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 am 

A very good catch on your part!

This is a great example of why we should all review all Fastracks and GCR changes as they happen (not just the ones for our own category/class). It's a manual process so easy for simple errors/oversights to be introduced (like failing to - obviously - exclude B-Spec cars of the GCR requirement to have full fire systems). All it takes is one over-eager scrutineer to add a lot of totally-avoidable stress and hassle to participants.

Keep that link handy. When you see regs errors, discrepancies, and inconsistencies then send them a submission. It's free!

GA, Nat'l Srutineer...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:33 am 

Based on the updated October revision braided lines need to be enclosed. The earlier version has the "or" to differentiate a 3rd option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am 

I think the question is whether they intended to say "or protected by a wall–like bulkhead container". In other words were they defining "or bulkheaded" from the previous version? Or is this a new requirement? We'll see what the CRB has to say.

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:58 am 

Rick Starkweather wrote:
I think the question is whether they intended to say "or protected by a wall–like bulkhead container". In other words were they defining "or bulkheaded" from the previous version? Or is this a new requirement? We'll see what the CRB has to say.

A strong argument that this is simply a typo is that something like this would be considered a regs change (and a significant one at that). It would be considered a reg change because the wording:

- Does not allow any non-steel and/or -braided lines, even when bulkheaded;
- If the line is steel and/or stainless-braided, why would you need a bulkhead? That steel and/or braiding *is* your bulkhead.

Finally, all regs changes must be reviewed approved by the BoD, and cannot happen mid-year (must be published in the January GCR). That's an ironclad requirement (I served in the Super Touring Advisory Commitee).

And, if you go to the bottom of the Rules and Regs page (https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules), you'll see a link for "Recommended Rule Changes"; that's the ones that are coming up for the BoD regs review meeting. As of the 9/19 version, this "rules change" does not appear in there.

I'm very very confident this is a basic typo that will be corrected quickly.

In the meantime, if you come across a tech inspector that want to enforce this, try to accommodate as best you can. If they file a CSA that affects you, simply file a protest, using the logic above. You'll likely fail, but at that point you have the ability to file an appeal with Topeka, and you can reference my letter above; an appeal will get that processed even faster.

It's a game. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's annoying. But it's alsways a learning experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 pm 

And let's put this to bed:

- https://www.scca.com/pages/fastrack-news
- Road Racing
- 2019 January - October PDF

PDF Page 243:

DATE: June 20, 2019
NUMBER: TB 19-07
TO: Competitors, Stewards, and Scrutineers
SUBJECT: Errors and Omissions, Competition Adjustments, Clarifications, and Classifications
All changes are effective 7/1/2019 unless otherwise noted.

PDF page 246:

4. #26876 (Stephen Mock) Request 9.3.27 rule clarification
In GCR section 9.3.27, make changes as follows:
"All fuel, oil, and water lines, including gauge and vent lines, that pass into or through the driver/passenger compartment, shall be of steel tube or metal braided hoses or bulkheaded protected by a wall–like bulkhead container (Cool suit lines are exempt). The driver shall not be exposed to header tanks. Heat shielding between fuel/oil lines and fuel/oil filters and exhaust components is strongly recommended."

(My emphasis)

It's a typo.