prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New 13" Bias Hoosier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am 

I see that Hoosier has just introduced a new construction for the good old 20x8x13 bias slick, now designating it a "CL".

https://www.hoosiertire.com/news/articl ... on_Classes

For some reason (laziness, conservatism, never seem to have "0" remaining bias tires) I've never switched to radials, and now this gives me one more (likely invalid?) excuse not to.

The press release claims faster (obviously good) and less inner edge wear (my main complaint with the previous tires). Has anyone here tried these? Thoughts?

Anyone besides me still running bias on fwd?

Al Seim
HP 1.6 VW Scirocco

Post subject: Re: New 13" Bias Hoosier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:12 am 

I'm still running the 20x9.5x13 Hoosier BIOS on 13x7 rims. I run the R45B compound in the front and the R35B compound in the rear.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 pm 

I had been running 45 on front and 35 on rear, this Spring I tried a full set of 35s all around (takeoffs from our friend Ron Bartell) and they felt good. Hoping that the newish 35 compound will hold up on the front of my (relatively light but still fwd) car.

Being able to rotate front to rear should help tire longevity, especially if this new construction reduces inner edge wear which is my bugaboo on the front.

We'll see!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:05 am 

Has anyone used the S75 and the S80?
How much softer are the 75s? Radials . Thanks. Like will they go a weekend or one race?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:11 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Has anyone used the S75 and the S80?
How much softer are the 75s? Radials . Thanks. Like will they go a weekend or one race?

Those compounds per say do not exist any longer and were replaced this past year by a new construction radial, I ran the runoffs race on the softs and they stayed under me for the entire race. It is my understanding that the soft is basically equal to the 35's

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:13 am 

Used the new 'CL' R35B for the HP race at VIR. Great tire. Smoother sidewall transition in the corners. Less abrupt than the old "3500" design. Felt good the entire race. About 1 to 1-1/4 pound lighter than previous. Hesitant to try radials with the new compounds in the lighter Spridgets. Still concerned about race start grip with the radials.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:14 pm 

Al Seim wrote:
I see that Hoosier has just introduced a new construction for the good old 20x8x13 bias slick, now designating it a "CL".…...Has anyone here tried these? Thoughts?.....
I imagine that you are looking for feedback on someone running the bias ply tires on a FWD car, but I tested them for Hoosier in the Spring and then ran them at the Runoffs. You can tell the new tire because the C3500 designation has been removed.

Track record on the last lap says it all as far as being quick and staying under you for the entire race. I was concerned that Goodyear might have had something going for them, but the Hoosiers came through as they always have for me.

I feel that Hoosier achieved what I believe they sought out to accomplish in that the new CL has the stick of the 35A and the endurance of the 45B. Hence only one tire going forward. I can not comment on whether they last longer from a longevity standpoint